PDA

View Full Version : quaife f20 diff??..

Alex J
18-11-14, 05:11 PM
cheapest place to get one , or second hand, ive been offered a new gripper diff but at 600 and buying bearings etc seems a bit steep, me being a tite **** etc, the nova is staying as it was to much fun, but need more grip!, any good recommendations??

phunkynova
18-11-14, 05:57 PM
Quaife is a good fast road diff BUT it's not a Motor Sport diff as it work by transmitting the power to the wheel which has most grip so is all ways only a one wheel drive diff for real grip go for a plate diff and not a torque bias diff for true 2 wheel drive I use a Tran-x diff and have no problems with it.

Benn
18-11-14, 05:58 PM
Didn't know that^ Thought the whole point of a diff was it held power to both wheels...

BRoadGhost
18-11-14, 07:34 PM
Quaife does say it never locks; would love to experience 1 then the other.

8valve-craig
18-11-14, 07:43 PM
On track with my old quaife I would sometimes question is it actually working or not. Since using Tran-x theres absolutely no question. Hold on tight and it's great fun.

Iain
19-11-14, 07:38 AM
You'll have no problem at all buying off this chap if you want cheaper than new, good friend of mine.

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/#/forums/items-sale/699930-quaife-qdf2b-atb-helical-lsd-diff-f16-f18-f20-f28-2wd-only.html?forcenoajax=1

Nobby
19-11-14, 08:13 AM
I ran quicker up the 1/4 on a open diff than with a Quaife ATB, go for a proper setup diff to suit your needs or go home pussssaaaaayyyyy

Iain
19-11-14, 08:15 AM
I like my Quaife but not driven a plate one in anger (yet)

Benn
19-11-14, 08:24 AM
You'll have no problem at all buying off this chap if you want cheaper than new, good friend of mine.

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/#/forums/items-sale/699930-quaife-qdf2b-atb-helical-lsd-diff-f16-f18-f20-f28-2wd-only.html?forcenoajax=1

Link no workie.

Iain
19-11-14, 08:30 AM
Weird works for me. User Harvey on MIGWeb.

Stuart
19-11-14, 08:53 AM
I'd go for the gripper Alex (or any plate)

Bearings are cheap, I will dig out the website I found that do bearing overhaul kits for gm boxes.

Diffs are a personal preference, but I've driven a few ATB kitted cars and a few plate kitted cars.... I lothe the way the ATB "works", in that it only ever seemed to do anything when you didnt want it to (eg when I was sure the car would get through the bend I'd plant the throttle and the ATB would decide that it would pull me into the bend harder... noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, but a plate is always there and always with you so 100% predictable)

Alex J
19-11-14, 09:07 AM

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/#/forums/items-sale/699930-quaife-qdf2b-atb-helical-lsd-diff-f16-f18-f20-f28-2wd-only.html?forcenoajax=1were am i looking mate? is there a direct link?

bazzap8389
19-11-14, 09:13 AM
Link works fine for me too, that link is directly to the for sale thread Alex

Iain
19-11-14, 09:17 AM
Does for me too weird! Search users for 'Harvey' and view his created threads.

Id personally prefer a fit and forget diff whereas some require periodic rebuilds as the clutch plates wear.

Iain
19-11-14, 09:30 AM
This work?

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/items-sale/699930-quaife-qdf2b-atb-helical-lsd-diff-f16-f18-f20-f28-2wd-only.html

Stuart
19-11-14, 10:55 AM
Does for me too weird! Search users for 'Harvey' and view his created threads.

Id personally prefer a fit and forget diff whereas some require periodic rebuilds as the clutch plates wear.

For the light use even a track car gets, a plate diff dosent wear anywhere near the rate people seem to claim.
use to be a rule of thumb to get 1K stage miles from a plate and rebuild (rallying obviously), thats 1K miles of some mega abuse... and in many cases the rebuild wasnt really needed as everything was fine.

Swings and roundabouts, some like the ATB, some dont.

sr-rompa
19-11-14, 01:03 PM
I have had a ATB Nd thought they was good till I bought a tran-x diff and they am AWSOME totally different feel all together tran-x has way better feel and grip

phunkynova
19-11-14, 01:14 PM
Running my Tran-x in the rally car for 3 years now 90% tarmac still working strong and no rebuild.

Mieran
19-11-14, 03:44 PM
Plate diff on a nova turbo can be a bit handful sometime!

Cooper
19-11-14, 08:21 PM
I've got an F20 with a Quaife ATB diff coming out of my car in the next week or so if you do want to go down that route. I'll pm you with details when it's out and I've had some one check its all ok.
I ran it for years and it was more than up to track day use and I never had a problem with it. Its only that the new engine I just bought came with an f18 with a quaif so I'm going with that.

Benn
21-11-14, 11:42 PM
So Quaife ones are ATB?

Ivd hac to kinda relearn to drive with it.. as cornering can be very different.

matthew172
24-11-14, 06:23 PM
I don't like my atb at all, it doesn't agree with the power the turbo motor produces and seems to pull you about a lot, im assuming that's due to the diff trying do decide which wheel to put the power too rather than a plate diff that will just lock and put 50/50 to both wheels. I am going to change to a plate diff soon

nova_stee
24-11-14, 07:48 PM
I don't like my atb at all, it doesn't agree with the power the turbo motor produces and seems to pull you about a lot, im assuming that's due to the diff trying do decide which wheel to put the power too rather than a plate diff that will just lock and put 50/50 to both wheels. I am going to change to a plate diff soon
And flog me yours dad?

matthew172
24-11-14, 08:29 PM
And flog me yours dad?

when I get a new one aye

Benn
24-11-14, 08:41 PM

That sounds just like mine, can't let off or even slow to much in a corner or it wants to pull you into the next lane...