PDA

View Full Version : Acid dipping / Galvanising

TOZNOVA81
16-11-14, 09:45 PM
Just bought a fairly mint K reg nova merit off an old couple that only used it to go to church in once a week.
Now I'm going to strip it to bare shell and restore it, but I don't have the facilities to stick it on a jig and strip all the underseal etc off it so am thinking of sending it off to be dipped instead.
Has anyone here ever had a shell acid dipped and then galvanised?

mark.cowperthwaite
16-11-14, 09:55 PM
I have heard good and bad stories about this (not on a nova mind) the bad stories is that the acid dip gets rid of all underseal and seam sealer, the problem is that you can't get a lot of it back in and have seen where panels then rub and bleed through, this was on a very well restored mk1 cortina. I still fancy the idea and can't think of anywhere that would be affected on a nova shell, thought I would share an example!

dgbnova#1
16-11-14, 10:00 PM
Mixed stories all the time some have good jobs some don't but think you will struggle to find a galv tank big enough for a nova I could be wrong happy to be proven

Novasport
16-11-14, 10:24 PM
I had loads of issues with dipping my old shell at SPL. Not helped by the fact that they are a bunch of cowboys! I had a chat with the guys at Pro-Strip at the NEC this weekend. Apparently they were inundated with people and their SPL horror stories. SPL had not attended this year, Hmm!

Galvanising is not possible as the process would warp every panel on the car.

Andy
16-11-14, 10:35 PM
Mixed stories all the time some have good jobs some don't but think you will struggle to find a galv tank big enough for a nova I could be wrong happy to be proven

Land rover chassis are available brand new galv coated so its not size thats the issue.the place i worked at for two weeks last month their tanks were like swimming pools lol

TOZNOVA81
16-11-14, 10:37 PM
My mate works for a fabricating company that send all their stuff to a place called Galvablast near me, he suggested I get it done, as when he's been down there he'd seen a few shell's being dipped.
Underseal is what I want rid of, as I don't have the space to get the car on its side to do it all myself. The seamsealer could be a problem ye.

TOZNOVA81
16-11-14, 10:41 PM
Galvanising is not possible as the process would warp every panel on the car.

Yes so I see, due to the heating process, scrap that idea then haha