PDA

View Full Version : X17d fuel pump

blacknovagsi
16-11-14, 07:50 AM
Hiya all, not a nova but my combo van is a right **** to start when it's been stood for more than say 2hrs, I checked the glow plugs and the power feed which are fine, there's a new fuel filter which is purged of air, but I have read that they have a problem with the solenoid on the fuel pump, I have put a live to the feed wire and if I start the engine and turn it off the engine stays running which says to me the solonoid is working then the engine dies as it should when I take that live away, after a couple of mins turning over it does start from cold but there's a lot of white smoke, any suggestions please?

mowgli
16-11-14, 08:29 AM
The injectors and pump probably need a service. Have you checked that there isn't crap in either the tank or fuel lines?

blacknovagsi
16-11-14, 08:37 AM
The lines have been disconnected and blown through with compressed air, and have also had the forte diesel flush through it. But it seems weird to me that if I get in it when the vans been stood a little while that It needs to be turned for a couple of mins to get it goin but as soon as I've had it running it'll start straight up every time until I leave it stood again

mowgli
16-11-14, 09:21 AM
Battery need charging?

blacknovagsi
16-11-14, 09:23 AM
Hmmmm, il look into that. It does turn over ok but I see what your getting at they do need to spin pretty quick being diesel

mowgli
16-11-14, 09:29 AM
Its more to do with the cranking over draining the battery enough that the heater plugs turn off.

staggy_gsi
16-11-14, 03:45 PM
The batteries on these only have to get ever so slightly weak and you will get problems like this.

But it sounds like the fuel could be draining back when stood. Check the seal on the filter housing as they can be problematic, also worth checking all the little O rings on the pipe connections. If all seems ok, you could consider fitting one way valves in the fuel pipes, as close to the tank as poss is best really. Bit of a bodge job but if it cures it you know youre on the right lines.