PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phone - what to get - non iPhone

Southie
13-11-14, 07:38 PM
Yes believe it or not I'm wanting a change, I'm an avid apple user with everything but the time has come for me to get a new mobile which isn't an iPhone.
Reason being for this there's a distinct lack of change on the iPhone and I've had one since the very first, also I'm not liking the new apple side of thing which link all devices as I want my apple computer account separate from a mobile or iPad.

Sooo you lot please tell me what's out there and what you recommend as I've not bloody idea what's any good lol

EwanG
13-11-14, 08:19 PM
I would buy a nokia. I have a nokia 1020. It runs on windows 8.1 has a 41 mega pixel camera. You can throw it about and the screen doesn't break! There is a newer model than mine but cant remember what it is.

Southie
13-11-14, 08:23 PM
I would buy a nokia. I have a nokia 1020. It runs on windows 8.1 has a 41 mega pixel camera. You can throw it about and the screen doesn't break! There is a newer model than mine but cant remember what it is.
Thanks Ewan, could be wrong but I thought that the nokias were soon to be stop being made?

Are they only a windows phone as I'm not a windows user lol

EwanG
13-11-14, 09:15 PM
Yeh they run on windows so do htc but the htc screens can break. Other options are Samsung s or sony xperia and they run on android. Windows bought nokia a while back and are still going to make them as far as I know. If the screens on the Samsung were stronger I would have one as a second choice.

Stuart
13-11-14, 09:21 PM
I have an htc one m7, on that basis I'd not get the m8.... Htc peaked at the one x series and are now going downhill again :(

the lg and moto phones are looking like a good bet, and also the old but good nexus 5

Novasport
13-11-14, 09:27 PM
I have the Samsung Galaxy S5 and I cannot fault it. Great phone all round. Only slight criticism is the build quality is not as good as an i-Phone etc but with a cover on you don't see it anyway. It has never bothered me though. Totally reliable(Unlike my wife's i-Phone 5C) and never lets me down.
Camera and screen quality are superb. Touch screen is very responsive and accurate. Fingerprint recognition is accurate & reliable. Lots of useful features.

Edd
13-11-14, 09:27 PM
How much you want to pay a month?

Edd
13-11-14, 09:30 PM
Budget either a Sony xperia m2 or a Acer Liquid E3

High end I would get a Sony Xperia Z3 or a S5

Southie
13-11-14, 09:51 PM
Thanks guys, Edd I'm currently paying £35 a month which gives me 1gb data with unlimited texts and calls... Been with O2 ten years, before that was orange though.

Btw 4g coverage in my area is fairly weak on O2 and it also seems EE is pretty guff also, even 3G on either network is hit and miss which also pees me off in this age of technology!

Stuart
13-11-14, 10:02 PM
Know anyone on three in the area?

i gambled on them a year ago, thinking they can't be any worse than Vodafone and they have been amazing for signal and sheer data bandwidth I pay £31/month unlimited data inc 4g on the odd chance I get it and some calls and texts that never get used lol

Benn
13-11-14, 10:26 PM
I have an htc one m7, on that basis I'd not get the m8.... Htc peaked at the one x series and are now going downhill again :(

the lg and moto phones are looking like a good bet, and also the old but good nexus 5

Really?

I have the M8.. It's a fantastic phone!
Is better than one One X+ faster and smoother, better screen too.

The best thing about it is front facing speaker, why the frig did they do away with them in the first place?? I'll never know!
The sound is 100% better than any other phone on the market, louder and clearer.

Puts my Mrs'es IP5 and my mates IP6 to shame.

On par with the S5 (tech wise, chips and prosessing and that) but the screen is better quality on the M8 and the speakers/sounds are better too.
I watch movies, surf on 4G and game on my lunch (think 20min at a time) and i still get 2 days battery life with ease.

Johnny A
13-11-14, 10:36 PM
Been running a Sony Xperia Z2 for about 7 months now, superb phone. Aluminium case covered with front and back glass panels, it's a very solid phone. Battery lasts 2 days with a fair amount of use. Damn thing has 3GB's of ram!! Never slows even with tons of apps running, love it!

Stuart
13-11-14, 10:55 PM
Really?

I have the M8.. It's a fantastic phone!
Is better than one One X+ faster and smoother, better screen too.

The best thing about it is front facing speaker, why the frig did they do away with them in the first place?? I'll never know!
The sound is 100% better than any other phone on the market, louder and clearer.

Puts my Mrs'es IP5 and my mates IP6 to shame.

On par with the S5 (tech wise, chips and prosessing and that) but the screen is better quality on the M8 and the speakers/sounds are better too.
I watch movies, surf on 4G and game on my lunch (think 20min at a time) and i still get 2 days battery life with ease.

My m7 runs so hot you can't hold it, while doing very mundane things, the camera is purple in low light and its slow as hell now... The m8 isn't vastly higher spec in the grand scheme of things and I'm a fussy tit when it comes to phones in that if one annoys me, I tend to leave them alone for 5 years lol my last htc prior to the one x+ was the diamond and that was a major mistake.

the oneplusone looks good but no band 20lte so a bit poor in the uk.

Benn
14-11-14, 01:11 AM
Really, my m8's camera is really smooth but fast, the new added features it has a good and it and they give fantastic photos.

The only time mine gets hot is under heavy gaming... never any other time. Which impressed me, as my onex+ did alot.

Id pick the m8 over the rest. Only one id like to try is the LG new one... thats meant to be amazing.

Jack
14-11-14, 01:08 PM
Windows bought nokia
lol lol lol

S5 is good, looks cheap in terms of materials but its quite strong. Not sure if its worth spending the extra over an S4 though, but then in a couple years time the S4 will probably be well out of date.

Because having them on the front is the wrong way round - the only way to make a phone speaker sound marginally decent is to reflect the sound back off something, hence why the speaker is better on the back. Or just whack some headphones in it lol

Stuart
14-11-14, 01:17 PM
speakers in a phone will never sound great as there is no volume of air in them etc. much like speakers in Tv's these days are awful (pats AV system lol )

Benn
14-11-14, 03:14 PM
Because having them on the front is the wrong way round - the only way to make a phone speaker sound marginally decent is to reflect the sound back off something, hence why the speaker is better on the back. Or just whack some headphones in it lol

I disagree. Some do sound crap hence needed bounce back..These sound great at all levels.

speakers in a phone will never sound great as there is no volume of air in them etc. much like speakers in Tv's these days are awful (pats AV system lol )

As above, normally true, I was really impressed with the M8.. Unsure what the M7 is like tho..
The quality of sound was what swayed me over the S5.

Pistol Pete
14-11-14, 05:19 PM
My last 2 phones have been HTC. I have the one at the moment. Good phone IMO. Android gives you more options to do stuff over ios.

Andy
14-11-14, 07:13 PM
My boloxy ace 3has the same running gear as an s5
i wouldnt recommend this phone though.i preferred my s2
T mobile laughed when i asked if i could be sent a brand new replacement at contract renewal time.

EwanG
15-11-14, 03:50 PM
I meant Microsoft bought nokialol