PDA

View Full Version : c20xe novice help

Nutty Nova
05-11-14, 12:49 PM
Hey guys im no expert when it comes to redtop engines but trying to learn and planning on buying one this week for my nova conversion.

Is there anything worth looking out for.
Advert mentions it comes with wiring loom, ecu, gearbox and manifold.
Is there anything else I need?

Also ive read up about best to get an engine with coscast head.
This is from a h reg cavalier gsi with 140,000miles on

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd121/Pownabown/c20xe_zps1170117a.jpg (http://s221.photobucket.com/user/Pownabown/media/c20xe_zps1170117a.jpg.html)

Any help is much appreciated and if anyone sees any problems with the picture id love to learn more

Thanks

Iain
05-11-14, 01:17 PM
Looks fairly used and abused in the picture!

You'll need an SFI box or 'powercap' and intake pipework and air filter. Exhaust manifold, either standard or Ashley 4-2-1.

Check the wiring hasn't been hacked about beyond economical repair.

Coscast heads are supposedly better, early ones have forged pistons from the factory too which is slightly nicer. I wouldn't go out of my way for either personally.

Early ones (20XE not C20XE) you can blag through a non emissions MOT if you have a later shell you're putting it in.

Are you planning a full stripdown, inspection and rebuild?

Nutty Nova
05-11-14, 02:16 PM
Yes planning on a full rebuild from scratch, have a friend whos very good with these engines and can advise me the right way to go about rebuilding it for more power. Just wanted some input from fellow nova enthusiasts whove done this sort of project before and can give me some advice.

Thanks for info Iain

Stuart
05-11-14, 02:44 PM
I'd not get hung up on a coscast one, and simply do the crack repair on the KS type when you rebuild it.

Nutty Nova
05-11-14, 03:54 PM
Cheers stuart how do you do a crack repair, is it a bottle of the head repair stuff that you put in with the water?

Stuart
05-11-14, 04:29 PM
noooooo.

There is a thread on migweb that details how to do the repair, its quite easy despite looking daunting. I'll have a look when I get a moment

Southie
05-11-14, 05:40 PM
This should help you out regarding the head mod:
http://www.orsas.com/CarStuff/cav/

8valve-craig
05-11-14, 05:50 PM
The engine in the picture above doesn't have a Coscast head, but as already stated not overly important considering the age of even the latest models now.

craig green
05-11-14, 08:48 PM
Agree re the Coscast comments. Years ago when I first frequented Vauxhall forums aal the advice was given about how XE heads go porous (coscasts don't) however that was still when XE's were a modern/just out of production engine. Any heads that were going to become porous would have done by now I would expect.
As said, make sure the loom looks in good shape, these are getting old now & do deteriorate with age causing fault codes etc. It's not unusual for people to cut looms from donor cars rendering them useless.

Stuart
05-11-14, 09:29 PM
The ks head dosent go porous either lol

jimbob-mcgrew
05-11-14, 10:21 PM
youll need enginge & gearbox mount conversion bits.

and inner c.v joints (from ... i forget which older vauxhall)

depending whether your nova's injection already, you might need to make some modifications to the fuel system.

being a H reg i doubt the ecu will have an immobilser, so the wiring shouldnt be too much of a problem.

not sure about driveshafts. might need others.

2 litre fitting guide link below :

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?86668-*HOW-TO*-Fit-a-2-0-8v-16v-into-a-Nova

ste porter
06-11-14, 09:04 AM
Best bit of advise i can give is check your shell thoroughly!!!!!!
Seen it way to many times with people on there first conversion. They get hung up on the engine and forget to go through the shell resulting in all there budget going in shiny shiny bits for the motor and when they come to put it in they discover the shell needs a heap of money and there's nothing left to put into it.

Quick list of additional parts and things to check that tend to get over looked.

Brakes - 256 or 284 just remember 284 is very tight on most 15 inch wheels
Brake servo- not essential but gsi gte one is a good idea especially on 284
Injection tank and pump
Check bottom cross member is solid as all the force of the wheels gets put through it.
Seem welding - This is regarded by some as non essential with standard xe but personally i wouldn't do a conversion without novas are old now rot in places you cant see and dont need any excuse to fall apart strengthening kit would be a good idea too
Alternator cut out- should be mentioned in the conversion guide
Gte Gsi radiator - again its not essential i have done them without but i wouldnt advise hard use on the smaller lower spec rads
Engine mount rubbers- This is also over looked seen a couple of people now with issues with old perished rubber mounts that when they drop an xe weight on them they get alot of movement
Bottom pulley- single v from the likes of tx cheap and cheerful
if want or want to keep an anti roll bar spacers may be required

Nutty Nova
06-11-14, 01:40 PM
Thanks everyone all this input has been great advice. Will I need to get the cv joints off the cavalier also or can I buy complete made up shafts for the conversion?

craig green
06-11-14, 05:09 PM
Look out for shafts for sale on here.
Otherwise you'll need to buy the conversion shafts from someone that makes them & buy CV's seperately.
You can use 1.6 GTE shafts (22 splined ones) & use inner CV's from an old 1.6 big block Cavalier (1985 mk2) but these arent ideal as the length isnt ideal. Many have used them successfully however.