PDA

View Full Version : Starting issue after head gasket change

nova_stee
29-10-14, 09:04 PM
Ive just done the head gasket on my 1.2 carb 12st the timings perfect and the leads are all on the right way but it wont start. At first it had little compresion but i put this down to having the hydraulic lifters out overnight. Ive turned it over for adges now and it seams to have compresion but i think ive flooded it as the plugs are soaked. Any ts to get it going?

burgo
30-10-14, 06:22 AM
Did you drain the lifters? And are you sure you've not got the dizzy 180 degrees out?

nova_stee
30-10-14, 07:38 PM
Started first time i tried today bloody cars

dgbnova#1
30-10-14, 07:45 PM
Lol oil drained from the lifters over night most prob

jimbob-mcgrew
30-10-14, 08:43 PM
sorry for sounding retarded, but do they have to be full of oil, in order to work ?

andy_mk3
30-10-14, 09:17 PM
Yes they do, as that's how they work lol :)

dgbnova#1
30-10-14, 09:20 PM
If I'm correct it there all full on a re build then there is no room for them to open up there all locked up so you drain them it allows the engine to balance itself out sometimes it can throw a lifter or even the cam but that's just what I recall but it can have an effect on the start up

Southie
30-10-14, 10:17 PM
Started first time i tried today bloody cars
How did it sound once running? What was it like when you started moving the car under load??

mowgli
30-10-14, 10:22 PM
If I'm correct it there all full on a re build then there is no room for them to open up there all locked up so you drain them it allows the engine to balance itself out sometimes it can throw a lifter or even the cam but that's just what I recall but it can have an effect on the start up

i've always stripped the lifters & cleaned the old oil out then just put a drop of fresh oil back in ready for reassembly. once the engine is back together with new oil, i turn it over with no plugs in till the oil light goes out & then for a bit longer to be sure. then plugs back in & fire it up.. i reckon leaving old oil in them will not necessarily make them work properly

Southie
30-10-14, 10:28 PM
Is that because the old oil drys out then Mowgli with the small hole getting blocked in the lifters?

mowgli
30-10-14, 10:31 PM
just the fact that old oil goes out of grade, and thins down. the lifters will hold better with thicker oil in. there doesn't seem to be a way for the oil to get out of the lifters, apart from draining down when the engine is off, so the old crap will stay there for a long time, if it isn't cleaned out. oh, and i have one of those sykes cam follower tool things