PDA

View Full Version : Wahay its not all bad!

Gazza14SR
15-09-03, 09:56 PM
After my little episode saturday night, sunday morning, ive found out a chap living near me is selling a fully recond(ish) 1400sr engine with ported polished head etc for about 80 - 100 pounds.

The reason hes selling it is cuz hes had a rear shunt and needs to get rid of it asap. He has all the documents from the rebuild and i am very satisfied with it. He will be towing my car to to his garage (he runs his own business) and said if there are no problems it should be done within around 4hrs.

Does this deal sound good as i have no idea how much recons go for. Will my twin 40s still work ok with the mods hes done to the eninge and will they need retuning for that engine?

Said he can do it thursday, so if nothing crops up i should be back on the road by the weekend!! :D

I cant quite exactly remember what he said but, he stripped my other engine down and something like the cam chain had snapped knackering the valves and pistons or something.

Gaz

dave.gsi
15-09-03, 10:02 PM
sounds like a good deal, even if it breaks in a month or two ?80 is nothing

mowgli
15-09-03, 10:08 PM
I saw a similar thing on the tech forum recently, and the bloke had his cambelt break, he was talked into fitting a new belt before anything else, and his car ran fine...Does your existing motor have solid lifters and a big cam??? because if it does not, then you could save yourself a lot of cash by trying a new belt

dave.gsi
15-09-03, 10:18 PM
?80 a lot of cash?

Gazza14SR
15-09-03, 10:21 PM
the engine was completly standard except for the 40s.i am not very engine literate, what does solid lifters and a big cam mean?

cheers

mowgli
15-09-03, 10:38 PM
If you fit a high lift cam, then the cam acceleration will be quicker, and can cause problems with the standard hydraulic (engine oil filled) lifters. these lifters are there to make sure that the standard cam is always running with the correct tolerances for efficient running. people fit solid replacements that have no oil filled buffer in them, but they will survive with the high lift cams, and get more revs/ horsepower. If the cambelt breaks, and the car is std, there is a very good chance that it will survive the breakage and will run fine with a new belt... If solid lifters are fitted, the outcome is a knackered engine.

Does the ?80 include fitting? if so, it sounds very cheap for a complete engine.

Gazza14SR
15-09-03, 10:43 PM
no not fitted, but that doesnt worry me as my mates changed his engine 4 times and afew beers at the local is all he wants for doing it.

Ive been having afew problems with the engine recently anyway so i was thinking of getting a recond one anyway.

After the horror weekend it looks like the next one will be super!

What difference will a skimmed & ploished head do to performance? (sorry should be techy forum really)

cheers

locky
15-09-03, 10:53 PM
Nice 1 m8!
Things are lookin up! 8)

Gazza14SR
15-09-03, 10:55 PM
how are things coming on for you?

mowgli
15-09-03, 11:44 PM
skimmed head will up the compression so giving more BHP, it also makes things hotter and the timing may need adjusting to avoid pinking (why do they call it that?? they never call it purpling or oranging).

just polishing the ports won't do very much. a lot of tuners actually prefer to leave ports slightly rough, apparently some turbulence can help the fuel to mix. If the air moves too quickly thru the port, the fuel can separate out and cause uneven combustion.

burgo
16-09-03, 02:06 AM
well porting is a process which involves cuttin away the ports to increase air flow threw them. polishin is obviously polishing of the ports to offer less resistence so therefore increased airflow, and the exhaust port as well as the actualcumbustion chamber can b polished so much they are like a mirror however the inlet port dosent want to b smoothed ne more than with 80 grit emmery cloth as this will decrease trubulence and cause the fuel to drop out of the mixture. all this is gd as it obviously allows more air anf fuel into the cylinder to b burnt therefore creating more power to really benefit from porting and polishin bigger valves should really b fitted along with three angle valve seats but that is yet more money.

Dicko
16-09-03, 08:04 AM
when its in get over to velos near burton-on-trent to get it tuned, probly the best tuners in the area!! also offer sound advice.

locky
16-09-03, 04:50 PM
I'm all sorted thanx m8! Got a pump from Ben last nite, fitted it last nite 2, works fine!
Cheers Ben :wink:

Gazza14SR
16-09-03, 04:53 PM
had another look at mine today, far tooooo much play with the pistons (3 of!) i could fit a 2 matchsticks down the side of 2 of'em!

my engine is fitted tomorrow though!

benji
16-09-03, 05:56 PM
twin 40s arn't for sale then?? :wink:

good luck with the engine swap, are you doing it?

Gazza14SR
16-09-03, 07:32 PM
yes twin40s are for sale, just not put a ad up yet.

nah not doing it myself. Found out today though that the engine im getting still has the gearbox attached to it and ive heard its alot easier to change the engine with the gear box still attached than without.