PDA

View Full Version : 1.9 CDTI conversion

vxrcopey
29-10-14, 03:47 PM
just out of curiosity has anyone ever seen a 1.9 Cdti conversion done on a nova..

alot of people say go down power route with the C20 or even Z20 but interesting to see if anyone has tackled the Cdti just to be diferent.

can map them up to 200bhp and silly amounts of torque.. i reckon could be a nice little conversion for a nova.. 45mpg thown in as well lol!

cracking daily driver lol

Stuart
29-10-14, 04:02 PM
would probably need some fun and games with the CAN system to keep the ECU happy, but I really cant see why it wouldnt work.

Mechanical mounting would be "easy" just time consuming.
I did look at doing it in a VX220, so the process of making it work would be similar.
Rough, bad, maths suggested 60-70mpg being possible while being fast lol

kevw
29-10-14, 05:50 PM
I'd love to do this.

Currently have an Astra and Zafira with said engine and have had others in the past so know what they're capable of.

There was a Corsa in TV a few months ago that'd had one fitted.

staggy_gsi
29-10-14, 06:18 PM
Im mates with the guy with the 1.9cdti corsa, sounds like the lad who fitted it for him had a fair chew on with it. For some reason the ecu had to be sent away and didnt come back for months....

It would be good in a nova but i reckon it could be tight

Johnny A
29-10-14, 07:09 PM
I love this idea, I always fancied the 1.3 CDTi lump tho for cheaper tax

vxrcopey
29-10-14, 07:55 PM
Yeah Stuart.. Could be some silly mpg figures lol!!

I have a SRi and I love it to bits with the original engine but part of me wants to trying something else with it but the other is telling me to stop being silly and don't ruin it the original..

i seen the corsa at PVS this year.. Engine didn't look out of place looked perfect on there..

Also have a crazy urge to bang the 2.2 in there and supercharge it lol!

Southie
29-10-14, 09:55 PM
The thought of a decent cdti in a nova tuned sounds a handful I reckon but fun.

If you go ahead with it get a build thread up on here to be the first to do it in a Nova possibly ;)

Stuart
29-10-14, 09:57 PM
I love this idea, I always fancied the 1.3 CDTi lump tho for cheaper tax

How does the ved work when taking an engine from a car in the emissions based world and dropping it in a vehicle that sits in the old way?

Southie
29-10-14, 10:03 PM
The corsa c has a subframe would it be adaptable to have one on a Nova to make the cdti 1.3?

staggy_gsi
29-10-14, 10:11 PM
How does the ved work when taking an engine from a car in the emissions based world and dropping it in a vehicle that sits in the old way?

I always thought it was the same as an emissions test....whichever is oldest. In which case the tax would be no cheaper lol

staggy_gsi
29-10-14, 10:14 PM
Talking of 1.9cdti's.....has anyone seen the 2.4cdti based on the 1.9 but with an extra cylinder?? They are a beast, im waiting to see one crop up in an astra or vectra

burgo
30-10-14, 06:18 AM
It's the twin turbo diesel I want to see squeezed in a nova lol

As far as management got to be easier to go aftermarket route surely

Novasport
30-10-14, 07:09 AM
Also have a crazy urge to bang the 2.2 in there and supercharge it lol!

I had thought about this. Decent big block power from a 2.2 without the weight penalty due to the alloy block.
The inlet and exhaust are opposite to the rest of the engine range so not sure what clearance would be like. Be nice to see a set of throttle bodies or twin 45's hanging off the front of one :)

Stuart
30-10-14, 08:38 AM
It's the twin turbo diesel I want to see squeezed in a nova lol

As far as management got to be easier to go aftermarket route surely

Derv aftermarket is still in its infancy, its mega cash and usually a bit megasquirty in its code lol
Saying that you can get a bosch motorsport Derv pcm for about £2K + calibration tools (another £2-3K), but its running software that would make the old NON square light transit feel embarrased about.

Not saying its impossible but its not quite as simple as old dervs were

vxrcopey
30-10-14, 09:21 AM
I had thought about this. Decent big block power from a 2.2 without the weight penalty due to the alloy block.
The inlet and exhaust are opposite to the rest of the engine range so not sure what clearance would be like. Be nice to see a set of throttle bodies or twin 45's hanging off the front of one :)

Yeah weigtht would be an advantage as you say but I was thinking more to with height.. Its quite a tall engine.. Would probz have to run crazy bonnet vent.

Also I reckon the cdti just might be too heavy.

My mate threw another into mix... X24xe turbo'd

kevw
30-10-14, 09:34 AM
Mid mounted CDTi 150 ;)

mowgli
30-10-14, 10:28 PM
i'd guess the best way to DIY fit one would be to fit the whole loom, and sensors etc, then modify the donor dash gubbins to fit. i think the 1.3 sounds more of a prospect, due to it being quite small.

has anyone stuck a VAG 1.8T in a nova yet?

Southie
30-10-14, 10:38 PM
there was one Mowgli but for some bizzare reason the threads not working any more, maybe the guy wanted it deleting.
a google search and it was the first post but now a dead link.
1.8 20 turbo vag engined nova project?

www.pngclub.com (http://www.pngclub.com) › ... › General Car Chat
23 Mar 2014 - 8 posts - ‎1 author
was I dreaming it or was someone putting a 20v turbo vag ... http://www.pngclub. com/forum/showthr.

staggy_gsi
30-10-14, 10:42 PM
The 1.3 would make a brill daily driver tbf, and are still fairly spritely with a remap/tuning box...

Mieran
30-10-14, 11:56 PM
Majority of people have Novas as a second car / weekend toy, no one would want a boring diesel when they probably drive one as a daily!

Novasport
31-10-14, 12:03 AM
has anyone stuck a VAG 1.8T in a nova yet?

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?96402-1-2-to-190-bhp-XE-track-tool-in-a-week!/page75

mowgli
31-10-14, 12:20 AM
now that is definitely a scary piece of kit... thankyou

EwanG
31-10-14, 07:08 PM
Vw ftw!

vxrcopey
09-11-14, 10:15 PM
I drive the nova daily as Vxr is second/ track car..

i reckon a diesel lump in it would be nice.. Turbo'd with masses off torque :)!