PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft stuck in Gearbox

wwinstanley
22-10-14, 08:03 AM
I snapped a driveshaft on my rally car recently, and had to finish the stage with 1 wheel drive, as a result the diff s**t itself.
Now the problem i have is that the driveshaft cup (rest of the shaft is removed) is stuck in the box. I think the splines on the shaft are well chewed up.
Any suggestions on getting this shaft out? its a tricky one as prying and levering isnt really an option as i dont want to crack the casing. I have tried welding onto the driveshaft cup and slide-hammering but no avail.
I know there is a little clip on the end of the shaft splines but surely it cant be this strong.

Cheers

conza123
22-10-14, 10:03 AM
could u not hammer it out from the other side with a massive punch? as alot of diffs go all the way threw

Kev Turbo
22-10-14, 10:17 AM
Have you tried a slide hammer? Usually works after only a couple of taps!

Benn
22-10-14, 10:47 AM
I had to weld a bit of metal over the front of it, with a nut welded on and then used a slide hammer to pull it off...

wwinstanley
22-10-14, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the replies, i will try with a big punch (if i can get it through from the other side)
failing that i will try the slide hammer method again, did pull like feck on it last night but might just need to give it a harder pull..

Andy
22-10-14, 12:17 PM
Best way is to drop the diff pan turn the diff so both shafts are exposed the pry them from insife at the end of the shaft.
Never fails.

Kev Turbo
22-10-14, 12:19 PM
A couple of taps with a slide hammer will sort you right out and not risk any damage to the gearbox or driveshaft seal. Great addition to your toolbox for removing other stubborn items as well.

wwinstanley
23-10-14, 07:42 AM
Best way is to drop the diff pan turn the diff so both shafts are exposed the pry them from insife at the end of the shaft.
Never fails.

Its a quaife diff, so not sure if the ends are exposed enough to pry on. I think its stuck in further than that.

A couple of taps with a slide hammer will sort you right out and not risk any damage to the gearbox or driveshaft seal. Great addition to your toolbox for removing other stubborn items as well.

Have tried the slide hammer method, wont even shift it though. Must be well stuck. My slide hammer is huge too, this is the first thing its never worked on! Il try again though as i cant see any other way at this time other than sticking a grinder in there and sacrificing the diff, which appears to be cracked anyway.