PDA

View Full Version : Clunking from LH Front when braking

wwinstanley
22-10-14, 07:58 AM
Have noticed both my rally novas and my sport doing this so i imagine its a common problem?
When braking lightly its not an issue, but if you apply a bit more pressure to the brakes there is a loud clunk heard from what sounds like the left hand side. Then, not always, but when pulling off from a standstill the same noise can be heard.
Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions?

tommy8252
22-10-14, 12:29 PM
Sounds like the ball joint bolts have stretched where they join the bottom arm.

Nipping them up may solve it but best to get some new bolts fitted.

millworm
22-10-14, 02:51 PM
Jack it up and feel for play left to right and top to bottom, then put a bar under the wheel and check play vertically

conza123
22-10-14, 09:25 PM
It mite sound silly but is the brake carrier bolts done up tight as I had a little clunk when reversing in the sr and just nipped them up a tad more and problem solved :)

chris gsi
22-10-14, 10:05 PM
I had a similar problem when I first had my old gsi and it was the tie bar bolted the front panel was cracked and when you braked and pulled away it would flex the panel causing a knocking noise

wwinstanley
23-10-14, 07:36 AM
All possibilities! I will check these and see if the problem goes away! Thanks for the replies!

staggy_gsi
23-10-14, 06:19 PM
I also had this problem on mine. Turned out to be a knackered bush in the bottom arm, allowing enough movement for it to hit the body

jimbob-mcgrew
23-10-14, 08:49 PM
if you check all that, and dont find any issues, have a look at the gearbox/engine mounts. one of them might be kaput