PDA

View Full Version : running dizzy without bob weights

jimbob-mcgrew
22-10-14, 01:17 AM
im trying to diagnose a specific noise, and think its coming from the advance/retard bob weights within the distributor.

would it be ok to fire the engine up and let it idle for a minute, with the bob weights taken out, to check this ?

marc69
22-10-14, 09:39 AM
Yes, it'll probably not idle wel,l but enough for you to hear if it is rattling.

jimbob-mcgrew
23-10-14, 01:48 PM
hmm, with bob weights out, it was still rattly.

im wondering whether its the camshaft/lifters/rockers/thrust pads ?

took the oil cap off while it was running, to see if the noise got louder, didnt seem to, but difficult to tell when the oils going "blurghp blurghp blurghp" (like a cat throwing up)

sound seems to be coming from the dizzy, the dirty bitch

mowgli
23-10-14, 10:26 PM
black cap dizzy's always rattle, until they self destruct & cut the cap in 2

Novasport
23-10-14, 10:53 PM
5th post down...

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?206835-1985-black-1-3SR/page7

jimbob-mcgrew
24-10-14, 01:51 AM
5th post down...

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?206835-1985-black-1-3SR/page7

^ lol , you just showing your car off !

just cos mines a bag of old clanking spanners lol

ill say again tho, thats a sweet black :)

jimbob-mcgrew
24-10-14, 01:54 AM
black cap dizzy's always rattle, until they self destruct & cut the cap in 2

yeah, not keen on that happening. ive had a rotor arm shred itself to bits in the past.

Novasport
24-10-14, 09:33 AM
No, the comments about the cambelt causing the dizzy rattle. Couldn't be bothered trying to explain so put the link on instead lol

jimbob-mcgrew
24-10-14, 02:04 PM
i remember you mentioning it before actually, and mine started to make a noise after i changed the belt.
the old one was on way too tight, and was causing the waterpump to squeel instead.

i dont really see how it can effect what the dizzy does, as its an arms length away, with various things between the 2.

the only thing i can think of, is that maybe the extra tightness counter acts possible journal wear, and the camshaft is getting tilted upwards a fraction at the dizzy end, and placing it in a better position for the dog drive ?

or maybe the noise is coming from the engine, and pulling on the cam closes a gap in the rockers slightly. enough to quieten it down.

there is a slight slackness to the leading edge of the belt on certain rotations tho. not all the time. maybe my cambelt was a factory fail ? and its longer on one edge, possibly causing the camside to momentarily slacken, and the dizzy drive to get 'yanked' on, as it catches up with the crank, going from slack to tight.

it does pink a bit too, like the timings out, hmm.

jimbob-mcgrew
06-11-14, 02:05 PM
novasport - i take back all the abuse, voilence, hatred, and disbelief lol
it did the trick. its quiet as anything now.
i obviously noobed the belt install, when i fitted it. homer simpson style powerplant meltdown.

i broke the problem down scientifically, and came to the conclusion that the slackness in the belt, was causing the cam pulley to be yanked slightly upon every rotation, which makes the bob weights snap out voilently, instead of a constant engagement, and a smooth spin that it should be.

some rep headed your way

http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/thumbs.png