PDA

View Full Version : Engine identification

Fat Louie
14-10-14, 06:08 PM
Hi all,

New to the forum and nova's (even at the age of 28 and living in essex!). Just brought a stock rod nut unsure as to whether the engine is a 1.3 or 1.4. Are there any easy identification marks etc that would point me in the right direction please? Where are the markings if any??

Also are there any markings on the cam that I can look out for that would show whether the cam has been changed?

James

jimbob-mcgrew
14-10-14, 06:19 PM
hey fat louie, epic name lol

engine code is in this spot in the pic. theres an overhang bit on the bottom end, just below the cylinder head. it will have letters stamped in :

- 13S or 13SB for a 1.3 carb model
- 14NV for a 1.4 carb model
- 14NZ for a 1.4 single point injection model

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo218/connorlake_2008/blocknumber.jpg

i think there might be letters stamped into the end of the cam, behind where the distributor is bolted to it.

garyc
14-10-14, 09:43 PM
If its decent race engine then the block will have been decked and the numbers probably wont be visible. It will more than likely be a 14SE engine. Take the inlet off and see what ports look like, most likely will be round. The inlet will be cathedral or square port. Mark the Dizzy and remove it the cam will be stamped what it is. should also probably have a vernier too.

Fat Louie
15-10-14, 12:06 PM
hey fat louie, epic name lol

engine code is in this spot in the pic. theres an overhang bit on the bottom end, just below the cylinder head. it will have letters stamped in :

- 13S or 13SB for a 1.3 carb model
- 14NV for a 1.4 carb model
- 14NZ for a 1.4 single point injection model

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo218/connorlake_2008/blocknumber.jpg

i think there might be letters stamped into the end of the cam, behind where the distributor is bolted to it.

Glad you like the name lol

Thank you both for your help. I dont think it'll be a serious engine (if you get me) but defo had some work done as its got a four branch on it and a few other bits and pieces. Just need to work out what has and hasnt been done before i start stripping and rebuilding it thats all.

Fat Louie
29-10-14, 07:56 PM
thank you both. i took it out at the weekend and got some decent times but needs more work to get it on par. i did try replying to this post a week ago but said admin had to vet it first?