PDA

View Full Version : CV boot 'sucked in'

jeremy fisher
27-09-14, 01:50 PM
Has anyone ever seen this before? Can't understand it myself.
http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y337/4539nick/P1010723_zps80a659a8.jpg (http://s1027.photobucket.com/user/4539nick/media/P1010723_zps80a659a8.jpg.html)

millworm
27-09-14, 01:53 PM
Usually means there's a hole or it's too big for the car like a univeral one that hasn't been cut down properly

jeremy fisher
27-09-14, 02:06 PM
But it is sealed now. That is why it won't return to its usual shape. And it was a new CV and the boot that came with it. But there is grease everywhere, so it let it out somehow. I had some gearbox issues also. Think it may have got a touch warm.

conza123
27-09-14, 02:30 PM
Was it the gaiter that come with the joint, if it is get a proper one and its should be alright, haven't seen one go like that before probley just cheap **** rubber :)

jimbob-mcgrew
27-09-14, 02:44 PM
had similar to this on my car a little while back, i squeezed too much air out of it when i fitted it, so it went a bit funny like yours and suctioned inwards.

i opened it up to release the pressure, and get it back into its normal shape, before clamping it down with a new clip, and it was ok after that.

is that c.v grease on the body next to it ?

jeremy fisher
28-09-14, 10:49 AM
Yeah, the gaiter came with the joint. And yes, that is CV grease you can see. The place I go for parts only do universal gaiters nowadays and they are not the ones you trim down, they are too small but stretchy and you have to fight them on. So nobody is aware of any underlying problem that would cause this? Fit different gaiter and crack on?

meritlover
28-09-14, 11:59 AM
I have not experienced this but I could take a guess that the gaiter has a loose clip or pin hole. Its heat up, plunged a few times and vented some grease and air. Now its cooled its sucked itself in?

jeremy fisher
28-09-14, 12:20 PM
I was thinking along similar lines, but thought if there was a hole or something it would have expanded again as the air has somewhere to get back in. Unless the hole has closed up as it has cooled?? I can't say I have paid much attention to gearbox temps in the past but before or during this happening the gearbox was too hot to put your hand on, I presume that is not normal?