PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1.2 8v turbo??????

Serialkilla
15-09-03, 01:05 AM
I've got a mk1 nova 1.2 carb. I'd like to keep it as a carb engine but want to fit a turbo to it, whats the best way to do this????
:?

I fitted a semi- homemade supercharger to it and got a higher top end speed but would like to have a turbo instead.

mowgli
15-09-03, 09:44 PM
I'm confused, because I was always led to believe that a supercharger gave more low end grunt.

And 1.2 8v motors are actually a great basis for a turbo conversion. the short throw crank will get better revs. But I think the best way would be to use the short engine from a very early (1978/9) mk1 astra/opel kadett 1.3 as they have 8 to 1 compression as standard.

dave.gsi
15-09-03, 10:25 PM
homemade supercharger

:lol:

must have studied that build your own turbo out of drainpipe website from a few weeks ago

Aragorn
15-09-03, 10:32 PM
as was posted by myself in an identical thread not long ago

- 1600 8v head with GTE injection system for induction and really low compression
- remap or DTA management for fuel and ignition management
- courteney or custom T2 manifold
- T2
- lots of work
- time
- patience

dave.gsi
15-09-03, 10:36 PM
http://68.106.171.154:8081/ghettoturbo/

:lol:

mowgli
15-09-03, 10:47 PM
dave.gsi----
I didn't think that yanks actually used irony, you don't think that the prat actually thought it would work do you??
I mean, a 5 ltr engine at 1000rpm uses 2500litres of air per minute.
It looks about as good as that thing from e-bay that gives you 5bhp for ?2.

Serialkilla
15-09-03, 10:54 PM
i done it for a laugh at work.

Its basicly a 911 heater blower motor wired with a switch to the ignition. So it produces the same amount of pressure all the way though the rev band so it works better at top end speed. I've got to try and work out away of of fitting a variable resistor to the circuit and to the throttle on the carb.

For doing it for a laugh and on the cheap it worked pretty well.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Stuart
15-09-03, 11:01 PM
Porsche technican f*%@ all over Porsches in his nova 1.2!!!!!

aka spanner moneky on nice(ish) cars lol

erm technically that is a turbo (albeit shitte)

and id have thought it does nothing unless its plumbed in (all airtight) pre carb/air meter. as it would have to shift sooooooo much air at high pressure that a heater blower isnt up to that.

lets see it to belive it shall we

mowgli
15-09-03, 11:48 PM
sounds like a cold air feed, but the whistling noise probably sounds good.