PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 to 1.6 conversion check list

gtegary
15-09-14, 04:20 PM
Hi,

I'm about to finally drop my 1.6 8v lump into my little 1.2 8v, 4 speed mk2. The new engine is going to running twin 40 webbers.

I think i just about have all the parts to convert it but dont want to get half way through and need something else.

I have a 5 speed box going in it, will the 4 speed selector be ok?

I have got a faccet red seal fuel pump, will this be ok running with an spi (standard) tank?

Will all the standard water hoses and rad be ok and fit the 1.6 lump?

I did buy some Gsi hubs and shafts, but heard the standard ones will fit. Is this true?

I have also got the 1.4 sr dizzy and coil.

Can anyone think of anything else i might be missing? I'm currently looking for and exhaust and fuel pressure reg.

The last thing is what have people done with the fuel vapour trap that sits in the passenger front wheel arch? as i have snapped the hose connectors on mine. Are these by-passable when converting? if so how? or do i need to get a new one?

Cheers in advance.

jimbob-mcgrew
15-09-14, 06:47 PM
off the top of my head, youll need a bottom rad hose

mk1nova_rich
15-09-14, 07:27 PM
Standard shafts will fit, and yes you can bin the fuel vapour canister, although I'm not sure how well a carbed engine will run with an SPi tank

mowgli
15-09-14, 08:47 PM
4speed shifter turret will not work on a 5 speed box.. you need the 5 speed turret, but you can modify the 4 speed gearstick to do 5 gears. the linkage is identical.

use std shafts

gtegary
15-09-14, 11:26 PM
Can you explain what you mean by turret?

gtegary
15-09-14, 11:28 PM
Can I get away with not having the turret if I mod the 4 speed linkage?

jimbob-mcgrew
16-09-14, 12:13 AM
check the little gearstick type picture on the top of the selector box, you might get lucky, as i had a 5 speed selectors pre-fitted to my last two 4 speed box's. i still had to drop the gearstick out tho, to cut the plastic lug off. the lug needs to come off in order for the gearstick to move far enough to the right, to engage 5th gear.

i cant find a picture to show you.
ill take one for you sometime.

mowgli
16-09-14, 09:31 AM
Can you explain what you mean by turret?

the bit on the box that connects from the linkage rods to the selectors