PDA

View Full Version : ebc greenstuff pads

jimbob-mcgrew
11-09-14, 07:40 PM
ive changed plenty calipers, but havent dabbled with any performance parts.

what do you guys reckon of the greenstuff ?

millworm
11-09-14, 08:16 PM
Waste of time, red stuff is good on track. Otherwise ferodo is the best bet

Southie
11-09-14, 08:21 PM
Where's the car going to be used firstly, track car only or road/track car?

Millworms chosen a good choice.

What discs are you running currently also, are you using the standard brake reservoir or a twin pot version?

Andy
11-09-14, 08:53 PM
what do you guys reckon of the greenstuff ?
Some of that real sticky icky

craig green
11-09-14, 08:58 PM
I found the old Greenstuffs to be a good upgrade over std GM pads that I was fading quite badly & the dust on my wheels was horrendous. But EBC have changed compounds numerous times since & bad reviews have gone about since then.

Ferodo or Mintex stuff you generally can't go wrong with.

jimbob-mcgrew
11-09-14, 09:44 PM
Where's the car going to be used firstly, track car only or road/track car?

What discs are you running currently also, are you using the standard brake reservoir or a twin pot version?

it wont be for the track, id just like better brakes, all the regular discs and pads seem to be cack.
im running standard equiptment.

ive heard good things about mintex, but they cost a bomb.
i think it was 90 pound for pads last time i checked.
i guess you get what you pay for, as the greenstuffs are half that.

Stuart
11-09-14, 09:49 PM
Green, reds and yellows only really seem to work on cars over 1500kg.

mintex m1144's are ace but soft.

plain boring discs (vented of course) and fancy pads ftw.

Andy
11-09-14, 10:39 PM
yeah,hobo discs be your "consumable" if you like

bazzap8389
12-09-14, 08:51 AM
I'm not sure about green stuff but I use red stuff on my gt4. They are very good when warmed up but they are very very dusty!

ABoresta
12-09-14, 09:09 AM
I had the greenstuff pads on my road car 2 years ago and I couldn't fault them, value for performance you cant complain, like everyone says they are very dusty and ate my discs away haha.

I was looking at getting them for the nova now because I liked them but hearing bad reviews about the compound ebc use now...

Iain
12-09-14, 09:19 AM
I tried Yellowstuffs and they didn't suit the car at all, no initial bite and no bite when hot either. Think I had some Greenstuffs with my Wilwoods and they weren't all that inspiring either.

I'd get some Mintex 1144s for pure road use.

ben doodar
12-09-14, 10:26 AM
everyone I know myself included who has ran a set of green stuff pads, has had the friction material come away from the backing plates within a month or 2.

other wise they were a good pad once slightly warm. think ill go for mintex or ferrodo's next time for my nova though

jimbob-mcgrew
12-09-14, 11:19 AM
everyone I know myself included who has ran a set of green stuff pads, has had the friction material come away from the backing plates within a month or 2.

^ thats awful, they must stick them down with wood glue

ben doodar
12-09-14, 01:40 PM
a mate had a set in his mk2 golf gti the friction material had crumbled away from the back plate, leaving just a few bits of material still connected.

meritlover
12-09-14, 03:05 PM
I had Brownstuff pads for a while but they were sh1t.

Andy
12-09-14, 03:08 PM
hahaha lol

BRoadGhost
12-09-14, 10:18 PM
Well you say wood glue, but you wouldn't believe what goes into some compounds; anyone for cashew nuts?

On a more useful note; I've found ebc greens to be excellent on a road car, what with initial bite, lack of dust, durability, value for money & lack of noise. Red's are scary on a road car imo, but good when used hard. Mintex stop well but cane the finish of alloys with their dust. I'm back on O.E pads atm, but run some proper leverage on the front now & can't see them getting near fading temperature; certainly not on the road.

That said I would probably replace them once worn with ebc yellow; just for something new to try & know they actually work from cold.

Johnny A
12-09-14, 10:23 PM
Reds are pretty dead till you warm them up, then they try and throw you through the windscreen.
Yellows have a pretty much linear medium level grip regardless of temperature

I am trying Pagid OE spec on my estate next to see how they fair

jimbob-mcgrew
12-09-14, 11:00 PM
I had Brownstuff pads for a while but they were sh1t.

they musta stunk under heavy braking lol

cb_motorsport
13-09-14, 08:25 AM
Stay away from EBC, I could destroy a set of green stuff pads on a 6 mile Tarmac rally stage, they'd literally crumble.

Best bet is Mintex 1155's or if budget permits then Ferodo DS3000.

At the end of the day, how many motorsport teams (whether circuit racing, rallying, etc) do you see or hear running EBC pads? Says it all. They are for the boy racer market!

Benn
13-09-14, 08:30 AM
ive heard good things about mintex, but they cost a bomb.
i think it was 90 pound for pads last time i checked.

Where are you looking? My M1144's only cost me £45....

I remember my Greenstuff cracking after a open day session at Combe. Lots of really sticky dust from them too.

Benn
13-09-14, 08:36 AM
I am trying Pagid OE spec on my estate next to see how they fair

Just a random FYI. That i found out through my work, Pagid are Mintex's cheap range of pad and disc.

Stuart
13-09-14, 09:30 AM
All part of trd friction :)

MK999
13-09-14, 11:16 AM

Sounds painful.

I found EBC Red's were actually pretty good and more importantly at the time, very low dust which white wheels definitely liked. But this was a fair few years ago and it sounds like they've changed all the friction materials since then

jimbob-mcgrew
13-09-14, 01:04 PM
Where are you looking? My M1144's only cost me £45....

where you find them ?

John
13-09-14, 01:10 PM
I once tried ebc greens, utter turd, took them out and replaced with genuine pads, much better.

Benn
13-09-14, 08:04 PM

TRW i thought, but could easily be wrong.

where you find them ?

Local motor factor i deliever too...

Sam15
22-09-14, 09:29 AM
Hi

I am running a Fiesta ST150 daily at the moment and have had to replace both front and rear EBC pads, plenty of wear on the pad material, the issue with them was the material had separated. I replaced the front set about a month ago and last Friday after hearing a squealing noise ended up replacing the rears, on one pad the material was hanging out and on another it had gone completely, fell off! When I did the fronts a guy came to collect a set of rims and as soon as he saw the pads he said had experienced the same problem with material separation. I spoke with tech at EBC, not helpful, had me send the fronts back, no feedback, no reason, no explanation as to the issue, only quoting this happened one in so many etc. Having spoke with others I am not alone. Have gone to Ferodo Premier at the moment as needed a hasty replacement, pleased with these, have also used Mintex in the past and been very pleased with them. Do not touch EBC with a barge pole.

Dan Stanley
22-09-14, 12:29 PM
I've got Minted pads in mine, they cost 90 odd quid. I haven't tried them out on track yet but they do squeal on the road.

Stuart
22-09-14, 12:34 PM
I've got Minted pads in mine, they cost 90 odd quid. I haven't tried them out on track yet but they do squeal on the road.

When my 1144's and 1155's squealed, I just gave them a good kicking and they were silent again :)

Dan Stanley
22-09-14, 12:42 PM
It's awaiting a good kicking! My Nova has had a rough and neglected year and deserves some TLC and a track day to prove herself again.

Benn
22-09-14, 08:22 PM
When my 1144's and 1155's squealed, I just gave them a good kicking and they were silent again :)

I think i brake to gently now in mine :( My 1144's squeek...

Jonesfach
27-11-14, 12:29 AM
Sorry to drag this back up.
anyone used the black diamond or brembo pads?
going to keep away from the ebc stuff as they sound Shiite.

Southie
27-11-14, 06:31 AM
Sorry to drag this back up.
anyone used the black diamond or brembo pads?
going to keep away from the ebc stuff as they sound Shiite.I ran black diamond vented discs and black d pads, the disc were pretty good but the pads were too soft and gave really poor feedback even on my old Nova sr.

I put standard gm pads in and they were miles better, I was running 256 brakes at the time.

Jonesfach
27-11-14, 09:45 AM
I ran black diamond vented discs and black d pads, the disc were pretty good but the pads were too soft and gave really poor feedback even on my old Nova sr.

I put standard gm pads in and they were miles better, I was running 256 brakes at the time.

thanks for the advice. Have the 256 BD discs on with ATE calipers. The pads were from a scrapper so they need changing.

Have bought super doper minted pads years ago with the standard brake set up. Ended up with GM ones then as in the end, the mintex were way too hard.

Anyone had experience of the brembo ones?

BRoadGhost
28-11-14, 10:57 PM
I had Greenstuffs when they were first introduced back in 1864 on the 16V astra ate caliper & vented disks; thought they were really good.