PDA

View Full Version : Engine possibilities for mk1 nova

anderj26
10-09-14, 07:03 PM
Hello, I have a complete bare mk1 Nova.I am stuck as to what engine to put in it. Im wanting a car i can jump in at the weekends when im home from offshore and have a little fun. Not bothered about going 150+ mph just want something quick and handles well. So far I already have perspex windows, full omp 6 point roll cage, Corbeau bucket seats. Quaffie quick rack, Leda coilovers all round. Fully lightened and seam welded.Astra gsi brakes, drilled and grooved with greenstuff pads. Will have fiberglas bonnet and boot. Hopefully a fully flocked dash, sequential gearbox and shifter, hydraulic handbrake and pedal box.

There is the obvious c20xe, which i would have thought would be heavy on the front end.
How is the handling ect when fitting a c20xe?

There is also the 16xe which i am shying toward as itas a quick light lump and there is alot of performance parts available like the redtop but without the weight. But i am struggling to find a setup close to me from a tigra/corsa!

I also have a x18xe1 vectra B gathering dust at my lockup which i believe is uses the same z18xe head. However there isnt so much tuning posabilities.

I know there is probably hundreds of people who have asked this before but i just wanted to know everyones opinions to date. #

Let me know if there is any other engines i should consider that i have forgotten about.

Obviously i want to make it my own but that is provving quite difficult as nearly everything has already been done to a nova.

Thanks

James

craig green
10-09-14, 07:19 PM
I'd have a 2.0 8v which kinda keeps the theme of the older mk1/8v engines or a smallblock 16v (1600 etc). [edit] finding an older 18E engine from a mk1 Astra GTE would be a really cool engine to fit, definately in keeping with the era, these are 115bhp & quite revvy but getting rare, there was one For Sale on here a few months ago.

The 20XE is probably the cheapest way of building a quick Nova but the handing will suffer despite what all the smallblock haters will come in & say. Your choice.

Just remember you will need an injection tank, pump, new fuel lines, wiring for the ECU etc, not to mention mounts & shafts if you choose a 2.0.

anderj26
10-09-14, 08:35 PM
Hello Craig,

I never even considered the 8v engines. Thankyou for that. I will have to do a bit of research. Regardless of engine i want to run throttle bodies. And i want to keep the engine bay as neat and tidy as possible. Right now my nova has a small 7.5ltr alloy fuel tank which i look to be swapping out. I have a spare fuel tank from a nova gsi i could use but was hoping to get a decent size tank to sit over the rear axle inside the car. and run braided An-6 hoses.

I like the sound of the x16xe engine and there is heaps of things i could do to it. Just finding one right now is proving difficult.

I am going to go have a look into the 8v engines.

I was thinking of a 1600 zetec ( sorry Vauxhall lovers ) for it aswell and building custom mounts ect.

But not 100% sure it has been done before and problems i might run into.

I will continue my research before i purchase an engine or doner vehicle.

Would i beright in saying the 1.6 astra G has the x16xe?

Or am i mistaken?

Thanks

Andy
10-09-14, 08:39 PM
X18xe would be my engine of choice if I were to ever build another road nova.
Astra sri/Vectras have them.
I had a mk4 astra sri and that flew for its size/engine capacity..at 130bhp as standard,in a nova it wont be shy.

anderj26
10-09-14, 08:48 PM
Hello Andy,

Is the x18xe a big block?

I have the 2.0ltr conversion mounts ect but was trying to go as light and nimble as possible.

Thanks

Benn
10-09-14, 09:00 PM
I love the idea of a 1.8 8v (early Astra GTEs had them) on carbs, i looked for one for mine years ago. They are lighter than the xe. I remember the Nova bash at pod, there was one with the 1.8 fitted there, it's 1/4mile times where better than the xe powered ones.
Yes it will still be big block.

Andy
10-09-14, 09:01 PM
X18XE is small block

Rab
10-09-14, 09:50 PM
Was in the same train of thought about mines last month, chose an xe. It's been done a millions times for a reason

totalnova
11-09-14, 12:39 AM
X18XE is small block

Wrong x18xe is big block
X18xe1 is small block, as is z18xe but uses fly by wire.

Southie
11-09-14, 08:00 AM
Andy you missed that number one off the engine code I think.

The op has the x18xe1 which has been confirmed now as a smallblock.

8valve-craig
11-09-14, 08:21 AM
Will have fiberglas bonnet and boot. Hopefully a fully flocked dash, sequential gearbox and shifter, hydraulic handbrake and pedal box. !

Crikey, a Sequential box? This is going to be one impressive Nova if built right.

anderj26
11-09-14, 11:41 AM
Thank you for all the support and Opinions.

I think in reality i should go down the c20xe setup, I can get a c20xe engine easily. but im just worried about the weight on the front end. My shell is already strenghened and ready for the conversion. I have all the mounts already and would just need the driveshafts and to take care of the wiring side of things.

Is there anyway of lightening the redtop engine so its not such an impact on handling?

I could always stiffen up the settings on my Leda coilovers, would this help?
I also plan to fully polybush the shell.

Many thanks guys!

James

anderj26
11-09-14, 11:45 AM
Crikey, a Sequential box? This is going to be one impressive Nova if built right.

Thats the plan anyway!

But that was with the 16xe engine.

I will have to do some research and check if i can get one for the c20xe. Obviously a decent Lsd will be needed to get the poser down.

I have till next april to get the nova finished. So all the weeks i get at home inbetween trips will be spent on the nova :)

mk1nova_rich
11-09-14, 12:04 PM
Stick with the engine you have, sounds like you have the budget to get it playing a decent tune ;) then you can use the gearbox that you were going to use on a 16XE

Alternatively I'm you can get alloy 20XE blocks but they are mega money lol

8valve-craig
11-09-14, 12:23 PM
Alternatively I'm you can get alloy 20XE blocks but they are mega money lol

A drop in the ocean when compared to buying and fitting a Sequential box though, so maybe it's not out of the question if this truely is a huge budget Nova.

philip
11-09-14, 12:34 PM
3500 for an alloy block. Save 19kg. 20xe is app 30kg on the nose to a small block 16v. Ollys old 20xe nova used too handle well. If your racing in classes then fair enough on cc's, but for something to have a laugh in tuned 20xe. Same costa to tune 16xe but could have 40/50bhp more. Play about with suspension and probably be fine.

mk1nova_rich
11-09-14, 12:50 PM
A drop in the ocean when compared to buying and fitting a Sequential box though, so maybe it's not out of the question if this truely is a huge budget Nova.

Good point lol

craig green
11-09-14, 04:46 PM
If you are going to go down the ITB-throttle bodies route then your choice ought to be a 16v engine as these respond best, make best use of the revs that TB's will bring.

Due to the higher revs though you will be needing uprated rods & bolts to cope with the revs that hotter cams/mapping will offer. This where the C20XE scores as it is cheaper to source & modify in this way over the 1600/1800's.

anderj26
11-09-14, 06:36 PM
Thankyou all for your help,

I have decided to go with the 20xe!

I have been talking with Phil on pm and hopefully can come up with a plan for the engine and a decent setup!

Obviously everything has been done to redtops so its not going to be too different i dont think. Once i get off this bloody rig i can get home and make a proper start to the nova :)

Once again Thankyou for all your help.

I will try and update my build thread as much as i possibly can throughout the winter. Nova hopefully be done by next april. Thats the goal anyway!

Cheers guys!

:)

Benn
12-09-14, 07:10 PM
X18XE is small block

If directed at me, i was talking the old 1.8 8v. (1.8s or se?)

Connor
13-09-14, 07:27 AM
Big bore 16xe long stroke screamer for me!

_Tomiboy
13-09-14, 07:07 PM
We made a long stroke smallblock. 1.6 crank, x18xe1 pistons and 134mm long conrods. It works good. I know some chinese suppliers who make four H-profile custom rod for 135$.

peester
16-09-14, 04:02 PM
You have to speak with this man first. Then you'll know.
http://billfalconer.webs.com/