PDA

View Full Version : Nova XE - Suspension Advice - Sitting too low on one side

wils2795
09-09-14, 03:52 PM
Hi,

I have purchased a second hand set of Spax front shocks and springs. When I fitted them to the car, the drivers side sits lower than the passenger side. I have tried adjusting the stiffness in the shock but makes no difference. The numbers of the springs are: SPAX S026025. Any ideas why this is?

Is it possible that the spring Ib is too soft and thus making it drop down to one side (is the weight of the engine more to the drivers side?)

If so, any recommendations where to purchase stiffer springs and what Ib is recommended?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Benn
09-09-14, 04:53 PM
Springs can settle by them self's, so might of just settled a bit lower. Making it harder or softer wont affect ride height tho.
If coilspring are still going, they used to make good springs. Iirc you want 1.9id and min if say would be 250lb.

craig green
09-09-14, 05:21 PM
Are the top mounts installed properly/same either side?

Damo
10-09-14, 10:11 AM
Mine has the same fault sits lower on the drivers side then passenger side an has a 20xe fitted it was also same before conversion when it was a standard 1.2, I just put it down to the shell being 'worn' on the drivers side as that's the side being used most its the complete side not just one corner too.......

damo.

Iain
10-09-14, 11:58 AM
Depends how much it sags, but checking the topmounts construction like Craig said sounds like a reasonable approach.

Off the shelf Spax springs aren't exactly ideal for a big block conversion so you might as well sort some new springs and make sure the topmounts are correct while you fit them

Ben 1.9 ID sounds like rear coilover springs!? Mac struts up front will have a much larger spring ID

Damo
10-09-14, 01:41 PM
Mine sags about 5mm lower on drivers side then passenger top mounts are correct and new........

damo.

wils2795
10-09-14, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the replys.....will check the top mounts are both installed correctly. Had coilovers in before and it sat even on both sides so I don't think the car is 'worn' on the drivers side.

It is down by at least 20mm on the drivers side so something is not right.

For clarification....what does ID refer to?

If using MAC struts, what is the best Ib spring for an xe conversion and where is the best place to get the springs?

Cheers

craig green
10-09-14, 05:05 PM
ID - Inside diameter.

XE's typically recommended springs are in the 300lb ballpark. Bit lower maybe for road use, but 300lb is common.

wils2795
11-09-14, 12:27 PM
Thanks Craig

ID - Inside diameter.

XE's typically recommended springs are in the 300lb ballpark. Bit lower maybe for road use, but 300lb is common.

Johnny A
11-09-14, 12:40 PM
My Nova XE hatch runs 225lb 8" springs, really nice road ride. Wouldn't recommend on track though!!