PDA

View Full Version : f13 on 1.2 - bellhousing gap

jimbob-mcgrew
04-09-14, 09:23 AM
theres a big gaping hole at the top of the box lol

do people normally knock up a plate to bolt down and cover the hole up ? or just leave it ?

not keen on the idea of the clutch etc, exposed to the elements

Novasport
04-09-14, 10:10 AM
I think somebody mentioned grinding the end of the input shaft down in Turbojolts recent thread about this.

jimbob-mcgrew
04-09-14, 07:10 PM
no problems with the input shaft, thats ok, but the early smallblock engine housings (f10 design) are smaller in size, compared to the later (f13) housings.

ill get a pic sometime to show you what i mean.

basically the gearbox casing is too big for the engine side. it fits fine, and bolts in everywhere, drives no problems, just theres random gaps all around the circumference of it, where the sizes differ.

mowgli
04-09-14, 08:24 PM
i ran one like this for about 10 years with absolutely no trouble whatsoever... but by all means, knocl up a small cover panel if it helps your self confidence...

the f13 has the larger bellhousing to accomodate the starter being further out on the 1400 mpi & 1600 small block engines..

plenty of vehicles have been made over the years with larger holes in their bellhousing with no ill effects ( landrover defender etc)

jimbob-mcgrew
04-09-14, 10:13 PM
good to know, cheers. :thumb:

is the neatest option to fit the f13 gearset into an f10 casing ? (ive heard it fits)

mk1nova_rich
05-09-14, 08:42 PM
Yes or just find a complete F10...if you really need to