PDA

View Full Version : How to retard a pulley on a C20LET to 7 degress?

HouseAtreides
30-08-14, 02:51 PM
Hi,

I managed to purchase a completely remanufactured C20LET engine last summer which is soon going to be fitted after almost having finished fully restored my Nova to original factory condition. When I purchased the engine, I received a list of everything that had been done to the engine, and it really has had absolutely everything replaced, old for new, inside and out, along with some very nice one-off touches that only someone with extensive experience with these engines would know to do.

The only thing that has not been done, and which is mentioned in the inventory, is that it has had a brand new Kent vernier pulley with the square tooth on the inlet cam being left at 0 degrees for the new owner (me, or in my case a mechanic) to retard to 7 degrees. I have spoken to the mechanic who will be servicing and setting up the engine in preparation to it being started for the first time since having being completely remanufactured, and though he has a good idea how to retard the inlet cam he has asked me to see if I can get information on exactly how to carry out the job, i.e., in which direction adjustment of the cam should be turned and all other relevant information in order to carry out the job correctly.

I am asking on here because I bought the engine off someone who, due to circumstances, was forced to sell the engine after having purchased it off the person who remanufactured it. Thus, I do not know who carried out the job of remanufacturing the engine otherwise I would simply ask him or her.

If, however, anyone knows exactly how this is done and can offer as full a description as possible on how to do it, then I would be very grateful to hear from you.

Cheers,
Tony

millworm
30-08-14, 04:33 PM
So it has a vernier pulley then? If it does it's a matter of timing it up then loosen the pulley and spin the inner until the needle indicates 7 degrees

HouseAtreides
30-08-14, 04:51 PM
So it has a vernier pulley then? If it does it's a matter of timing it up then loosen the pulley and spin the inner until the needle indicates 7 degrees

It does indeed. When you say timing it up, do you mean adjusting the timing belt before loosening the pulley in order to retard the pulley etc..? Sorry, mechanics is not my forte, hence only seeking information to pass on to the mechanic doing it.

I was of the impression that a gauge would be required to take exact measurements in degrees of the inlet cam when the rocker cover is off, then loosening the pulley to spin the inner until 7 degrees is achieved that way. Does the rocker cover need to be removed?

HouseAtreides
30-08-14, 05:00 PM
Is all good, I found this website which seems pretty informative and covers what I'm talking about. http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/cylhead/cams_C20LET.htm

Cheers,
T

Rob H
31-08-14, 10:38 AM
No offence intended but if your mechanic doesnt know how to retard the inlet timing you should maybe consider taking it somewhere else. When you go out for a meal does the chef ask you to find out how cook the food? Be a shame to wreck a brand new let with 1 turn of the key.

Lee H
31-08-14, 10:49 AM
No offence intended but if your mechanic doesnt know how to retard the inlet timing you should maybe consider taking it somewhere else. When you go out for a meal does the chef ask you to find out how cook the food? Be a shame to wreck a brand new let with 1 turn of the key.

This 100%.

Andy
31-08-14, 11:52 AM
I was going to say exactly the same.
If your mechanic is asking how to retard a pulley/which way to turn it id get a new mechanic!

HouseAtreides
31-08-14, 03:11 PM
This 100%.

True.