PDA

View Full Version : Nova Saloon C20XE sump guard

ABoresta
29-08-14, 07:46 AM
Hi all,
Iv been thinking I want to make a sump guard which I will also run the length of the car as I will be wrapping the entire exhaust to keep all the heat in so it should protect that also.

I am also thinking of doing some under chassis bracing ready for the LET when I finally get it but that's off topic haha.

I was thinking of welding nuts onto the underside of the car so the guard will just bolt on and remove easily?

Was after some advice or pictures if anyone has done something similar.

Also does anyone know what thickness the steel sheet is of an original guard? I have been told 5mm but that's going to be a lot of extra weight....

Cheers

dgbnova#1
29-08-14, 07:49 AM
Think In 5mm that would be alloy not steel but could be wrong but an 8x4 sheet of steel 5 mm thick is some weight you would have to make it alloy

ABoresta
29-08-14, 07:57 AM
That's what I was hoping, would also be easier to work...
What gauge steel or alloy would people recommend?

Southie
29-08-14, 07:57 AM
This might be of use, not a uk site but has some useful pictures even though it's not a nova:
http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?38433-Sump-Guards-fabricate-or-buy

ABoresta
29-08-14, 08:55 AM
Ok so did a rough mock up on CAD (sorry im a design engineer:tard:)
aluminium 5mm = 2.7Kg
aluminium 4mm = 2.1Kg
steel 2mm = 3.2Kg

I am 100% going for aluminium after seeing that, also read aluminium doesn't transfer as much force to the chassis... but do you think 4mm would be good enough for fast road/track use? just want to keep the weight down as much as possible.

Iain
29-08-14, 09:24 AM
Not entirely convinced by the necessity of a sump guard on a road or track car but...

Best off browsing the rallying WIPs and seeing how they attach them, I think you get custom brackets to weld on for the engine sump guard

Running the entire length of the car is a bit ridiculous if it's going to sit under the exhaust IMO.

ABoresta
29-08-14, 09:35 AM
Its to protect the exhaust as well as the sump because 1 its already scraping and 2 when I heat wrap the entire exhaust I don't want it all coming off when rubbing the road etc...

Iain
29-08-14, 09:51 AM
OK so how low is the car? And then how low is the exhaust below that? Then add another few cm lower for a massive lump of ally... That'll be bottoming out all the time and look stupid dropped under the sills at the side.

ABoresta
29-08-14, 10:04 AM
Not sure how low iv gone on the coilys but can go lower... the exhaust is sitting very low at the moment it literally scrapes on the smallest of road bumps, cant go near speed bumps at the moment. if I can sort this out maybe I wont need a guard just more of a local cover to stop the exhaust wrap getting ruined...

but still worried about damaging the sump...

Iain
29-08-14, 10:08 AM
Sorted. http://www.pro-tecmotorsport.com/partsDetails.cfm?id=16

mk1nova_rich
29-08-14, 09:26 PM
Those 10mm alloy sump guards weigh weigh a ton, I'd be trying to find a lighter alternative for a rally car let alone a road car. They also hang a couple of inches under the sump so if you are catching your sump now then you would end up beached on a speed bump lol you will also be surprised at how quickly they wear if given regular contact with tarmac

My honest suggestion is its a ridiculous idea, raise your car slightly and dont bother

My more helpful suggestion would be to use 5/6mm material as its a damn sight lighter and would suffice for what you want. Your main problem is the material to use - sump guards are generally made from duraluminium which is expensive and hard to work with

Southie
29-08-14, 09:43 PM
As Rich says the "proper" sump guards are made from a mixture of all lightweight metals. Here's Demons twerks setup:
CLICKYME (http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/sump-tank-guards/omp-duralumin-sump-guard)

Andy
29-08-14, 10:12 PM
Is it for a rally stage car?
If not put the pipe down........

Southie
29-08-14, 10:16 PM
Is it for a rally stage car?
If not put the pipe down........
Surprised you didn't say "raise the car up and get decent stiffer springs and shockers to compensate any roll" Andy ;)

Andy
29-08-14, 10:17 PM
Surprised you didn't say "raise the car up and get decent stiffer springs and shockers to compensate any roll" Andy ;)
haha I aren't no off roader mate lol
mines for towing and the family,which is increasing now...........