PDA

View Full Version : Engine being a pain

Scottcooper85
28-08-14, 06:46 PM
I got the 20xe running after changing the fuel tank and painting engine bay at the weekend and due to a faulty fan and air lock it ran warm so turned it off and went yo turn it on and it turns over but won't go.
There's no spark and no pump noise but I've tested the pump with a permensnt live and it was working intermittently but think my connection was a bit crap lol

ive changed the fuel relay as I thought it was that before I checked the spark. So now I'm thinking crank sensor which I've ordered for tomorrow or ecu which I also have a spare of in the post.

anyway is there anything else anyone can think of to check??!

cheers scott

craig green
28-08-14, 07:10 PM
Relay or crank sensor are most likely culprits.
Check your earths, or rather clean them up regardless. G/box to chassis, all the engine loom earths around the fuel rail etc. Try making an earth strap from the alternator adjuster bracket to the -ve battery terminal. This makes a huge difference.

Scottcooper85
29-08-14, 06:03 PM
So far changed fuel relay, crank sensor , ran a negative lead straight from alternator to battery. Still won't have it.

next step is to check other earths and try a different ecu. It's just strange It's spark and the pump which are affected. Going to double check the pump by disconnecting the fuel hose and cranking it over to check if fuel pumps out too.

Any other ideas ???

Southie
29-08-14, 06:14 PM
Have you an immobiliser fitted?

Scottcooper85
29-08-14, 06:20 PM
No mate not got round to fitting one yet it's just a turn the key and go job at the minute. Wiring looks a mess under the dash so hope I don't have to go through it all

Southie
29-08-14, 07:03 PM
No mate not got round to fitting one yet it's just a turn the key and go job at the minute. Wiring looks a mess under the dash so hope I don't have to go through it all
Then with it running before the tank swap it must be down to that, silly as it sounds have you put the fuel pipes back on the right way round?

craig green
29-08-14, 07:05 PM
next step is to check other earths and try a different ecu. It's just strange It's spark and the pump which are affected. Going to double check the pump by disconnecting the fuel hose and cranking it over to check if fuel pumps out too.

Any other ideas ???

The ECU uses the crank sensor's signal to operate the fuel pump & ign side of things, so I'm not sure you will get any fuel which won't necessarily point to a duff pump if that's what you are expecting.

Forgive me for asking but has this been running or have you just performed a conversion?

Scottcooper85
29-08-14, 07:28 PM
No I bought it as a conversion and it was running after the tank swap and the fuel pipes are all definatly correct. I just wanted to prove for definate it was no fuel and spark and just not no spark.

the fuel tank was swapped then it was running fine.
Then i pulled some wires back to paint the inner wings
woring was then replaced and it wouldn't go as no spark
cleaned underseal to make a good earth point for coil in arch and it fired
ran for 15 mins and it got hot (air lock and fan not cutting in)
turned off and fitted air filter
went to fire again and no spark or fuel
changed relay, crank sensor and re earthed alternator
this is now where we are.

im thinking ecu or wiring fault

Southie
29-08-14, 07:40 PM
As Craig said it must be an earth in the engine bay, with the respray something isn't getting a good connection.

scott.parker
29-08-14, 07:43 PM
Checked all the fuses and relays by the box?

Scottcooper85
29-08-14, 07:46 PM
I've checked all the relays and had a quick look through the fuses and it all looked okay.

im going to re-earth all the earths next I think. It's just strange it ran then I turned it off and nothing.

also wondering if something got melted when the engine got hot

Scottcooper85
03-09-14, 04:28 PM
Re done all earths, checked with another new relay I picked up from auto-vaux and double checked pump works with permanent live. Still won't go :( waiting for spare ecu to arrive now. Any other suggestions anyone?

Andy
03-09-14, 04:48 PM
so are you getting fuel to the rail? have you primed the rail??
Are you getting a spark?

Andy
03-09-14, 04:50 PM
what ecu code do you have? Be 2 letters like FP

Andy
03-09-14, 05:22 PM
thinking about this.....
have you got crank sensor plug mixed up with icv???

Scottcooper85
03-09-14, 06:20 PM
Don't think I've unplugged the icv or crank sensor mate apart from to change the sensor. My Ecu is fx. It was running fine and then turned it off and went to restart and nothing. When I spoke to Aamir at the weekend he mentioned an earth fault frying his ecu so hoping the new ecu will cure it. It wants changing anyway as the current one has a gay chip in it lol

Andy
04-09-14, 08:08 PM
black switched live to coil getting power?
If you don't have a multimeter use a sidelight bulb to test with wire coming from the switched live to bulb then a wire to earth

Scottcooper85
05-09-14, 05:45 PM
Okay an update

changed ecu and coil - still no pump or spark
traced ignition live from ecu (wired into switch live for bulb in headlight switch)
put permanent live from battery to switch live on ecu and heard fuel relay click
turned over - fuel pump ran :)
re connect earth to coil and it started very very lumpy and a back indicator and some dash lights which to do with the light control came on on the digi dash

so I'm thinking change the coil back to the other and get a better earth and go from there now

Andy
05-09-14, 06:08 PM
Before you bin the coil test it using a multimeter.
theres a good vid on youtube on how to do this.
takes seconds and is easy diagnosis

Scottcooper85
05-09-14, 09:10 PM
I refitted the old coil and it wouldn't go again lol

soooo

I refitted the second hand coil I bought and made good earths to it which cured all my earth issues and then gave it a run which was still lumpy. So I changed the brand new crank sensor I bought for the old one and then...

http://youtu.be/3v8068_cbfc

Andy
05-09-14, 10:06 PM
Result! Nowt wrong with that mate!