PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out

devonskippy
27-08-14, 09:53 PM
Getting real frustrated with a problem that no one I know seems to be able diagnose: This is the second time it has happened and it seems to resolve itself last time, but don't know how. Both times have started to play up after a long motorway run.

Engine is a standard 1.3 (13SB). 122k on the clock.

It starts ok every time and runs ok under accelerations, but when the accelerated is not pressed, the revs drop and it cuts out. Changing gears is interesting and slowing down for junctions etc is just scary!

It also seems to hesitate when cruising, i.e. very little pressure on the accelerator.

Have all ready changed a lot of parts after last time ;(

Any thoughts welcome, however small or obvious!

jimbob-mcgrew
27-08-14, 10:01 PM
what bits you changed skippy ?

devonskippy
27-08-14, 10:14 PM
Plugs, leads, cap, arm, coil. Carb has also been stripped and cleaned. Camshaft and headgasket done. No doubt many others thins I've spent money on!

Andy
27-08-14, 10:45 PM
fuel filter?

jimbob-mcgrew
27-08-14, 10:59 PM
check for air leak's at the inlet manifold gasket, and lower and upper carb gaskets

craig green
27-08-14, 11:40 PM
Agree, just screams carb to me.

millworm
28-08-14, 12:35 AM
Weak fuel pump perhaps

devonskippy
28-08-14, 01:39 PM
Fuel pump already changed.

Dumb question, but where is the fuel filter?

I'm hoping not carb related as finding anyone that knows how to sort it is hard work!

marc69
28-08-14, 04:03 PM
In all honesty I have found that replacing the carb with a known working one is easier than getting a faulty one to work properly again. There might not be a fuel filter, I just use the cheapo (£2) clear plastic ones.

I havce found once dirt etc gets in no matter how much cleaning goes on, once in a blue moon it seemed to play up.

Also has the ignition timing been checked, the vacuum advance and has the dizzy been changed?

devonskippy
28-08-14, 05:17 PM
I'll check timing and vacuum at weekend, although difficult when it wont run, but can check it hasn't moved.

How easy is it to get a new distributor, as may be worth doing anyway?

dgbnova#1
28-08-14, 06:32 PM
Just to rule it out get a milk bottle or glass jar and pump some fuel from the carb side of the pump into the bottle make sure it's all clean fuel I had similar when I got the GL if you look on the first pages below the tank was fu£&ed so starving the pump of fuel and intermittent running etc you can check it easy just blow down the pipe from the tank feeding the pump then see if it's ok for a bit as this will clear the rust on the in tank filter

This rusting is caused by tanks sitting for a long time ether empty or a little fuel going stagnant then more like water or rusts the inside and if you got no filter your not gona see the rust

if this is it your gona need a tank as there is no repair for this now as new fuels are to potent for the old way of sealing the inside of tanks

craig green
28-08-14, 07:15 PM
Tanks can be sealed/treated for the new fuels, my Dad just did it on a classic motorcycle tank.

dgbnova#1
28-08-14, 07:37 PM
Not with an in tank filter you cannot remove and I called 11 places that were happy to do 2 stroke tanks but refused to do the nova ones as fuel melts the coating and the octane is only heading up on fuel making the stuff worse and a used tank can be from £40 god knows what coating costs

craig green
28-08-14, 08:50 PM
This stuff was a 2 pack substance my Dad bought & treated the tank himself.
Anyhow, I agree that at £40 a new tank is the way to go.

Southie
28-08-14, 09:05 PM
Have you tried turning your dizzy timing to advance it a little, also adjusted the fuelling on the carb as it maybe fuel starvation.

devonskippy
31-08-14, 06:37 PM
A possible related issue came to light while digging about round the fuel tank:

On the driver's side of the side of the tank is a small rubber hose. This is split and no longer connected. The other end seems to go along the top of the tank.

Any thoughts on what this pipe is for?

dgbnova#1
31-08-14, 07:03 PM
Post pics but sounds like breather pipe 12 mm fuel pipe from motor factors

devonskippy
01-09-14, 12:50 PM
I'll try and upload a pic later. It's not that big (I had the breather pipe replaced earlier in the year when it decided to spill all over Sainsbury's forecourt!).

The pipe is about the same diameter as the one for the washer jets.