PDA

View Full Version : C20let v c20xe

Flairing Nova
24-08-14, 01:03 PM
Hi all,
looking at making a return to the nova and in the market for a 2.0l.
what are the key differences between a c20let and a c20xe?

thanks, Sam

nova_stee
24-08-14, 01:26 PM
Xe are slow and lets arnt.

Flairing Nova
24-08-14, 01:51 PM
Ha ha, so realistically I should scrap any search of a xe and only go for a let?!
am I right that the xe is the old engine and the let is the updated 1990s engine with the turbo?
bhp wise 130ish v 200ish?
thanks, Sam

turbojolt
24-08-14, 02:01 PM
New xe 150 lets 200

Xes arnt slow lol

Flairing Nova
24-08-14, 02:07 PM
So both are a potential option for a second car to have a bit of fun in!
as long as the shell is sound...
plus the paper work!
im toying with viewing a xe in Scotland but not too sure on the info I've been given!
also why don't people change the v5 and inform the insurance company!! Puts me off in buying the thing!

nova_stee
24-08-14, 02:48 PM
New xe 150 lets 200

Xes arnt slow lol
Have you ever drove a xe nova? Ive built and drove loads there not quick compared to any modern car.
the only people that stick up for xe,s are the ones that havent drove anything quicker

Rob H
24-08-14, 03:12 PM
Don't waste your time with xe's imo. Costs alot more to up the power when you get bored. With a let you just up the boost and fuel pressure and get stage 2 chips. Plus turbo torque over n/a any day of the week!

turbojolt
24-08-14, 03:19 PM
Have you ever drove a xe nova? Ive built and drove loads there not quick compared to any modern car.
the only people that stick up for xe,s are the ones that havent drove anything quicker

Ive not driven one tbf but been a passanger and i would put money on it being faster then the evo 8 i have driven!

Ive also watched iains nova EAT much more expensive machines on trackdays

All ive ever seen with people i know with breathed on lets is constant engine problems admittly they might not have been well built or tuned

Flairing Nova
24-08-14, 03:33 PM
I'm used to 300+ on my scoobs that I've owned for the past 8 years so I'm not looking for a stupidly fast nova. Just want a solid one for some fun with a bit of go in it.
as I'm not wanting to build one or have it as a project I want one that is sound and done already! I'm beginning to realise though it's a slow and patient wait...been searching for 5 months already!

turbojolt
24-08-14, 03:36 PM
Alex is selling his nova think its running around 270hp and he is located in essex

Flairing Nova
24-08-14, 04:19 PM
Alex who?! Where can I find his details?

turbojolt
24-08-14, 04:54 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?206157-vauxhall-c20let

Flairing Nova
24-08-14, 05:14 PM
Aw yes saw this one on eBay.
lovely spec but the colour really doesn't do it for me! And if paying top money for a second car I want it in a colour that I like!
thanks though Hun...back to the search!

turbojolt
24-08-14, 05:18 PM
fair enough it is/was bold colour for him to choose would have proabaly sold with in a week if it was white lol

Flairing Nova
24-08-14, 05:27 PM
That's the thing! If it was £2000 I would have it and spend money on a re spray as the spec and the condition of the car sounds brilliant!

turbojolt
24-08-14, 05:33 PM
Your struggle to find a let nova worth buying under 3k imo

Flairing Nova
24-08-14, 05:39 PM
That's my fear!
ive noted a xe on gumtree in Scotland but it's a long way to go if it's not sound!
i know it's a xe but the shell looks solid...could be a starting point until I find my retro baby! They all seem to sell no matter what engine or condition!

turbojolt
24-08-14, 05:48 PM
you know anything about novas. like common rust areas etc?

You say your not after a project but in my eyes there are only two types of nova a non running project and a running project lol

turbojolt
24-08-14, 05:49 PM
you know anything about novas. like common rust areas etc?

You say your not after a project but in my eyes there are only two types of nova a non running project and a running project lol

Flairing Nova
24-08-14, 06:31 PM
I had one back in 2002 for 3 years or so! But that's when they were still newish!!
common rust is arches and battery and boot?
i just want some fun away from the scoob for a year or so!

totalnova
24-08-14, 07:10 PM
Chassis legs front and rear, sills, rear suspension tops pretty much anywhere there is metal really.

philip
24-08-14, 07:22 PM
Depends wha you want car for. A decent xe nova on tbs will be more than enough fun if on a roads etc. Know plenty of lads who had 20lets and gone back too tuned xes. More usuable, generally more reliable than an let too.

Flairing Nova
24-08-14, 07:42 PM
That was the other thing...if the turbo goes pop it's minimum £400. My brother changed one in an Astra!
i may toy with the idea of this one in Scotland...see if I can get anymore info and make a road trip of it!
unless anyone is in Scotland and can have a look!

dgbnova#1
24-08-14, 07:43 PM
what he said ^ save the turbo problems for the scoob you can run reliable xe all day lets can and do break more and unless you build it yourself god knows what's been done to it

Flairing Nova
24-08-14, 07:46 PM
Ha ha no turbo problems with the scoob!
from being on scooby forums it's nice to come over here and have people actually help you and not just post crap that makes you feel like a muppet!
thanks gents very much appreciated.
sam

dgbnova#1
24-08-14, 08:05 PM
It's early days mate this is a proper subject you opened up here and I'm sure there will be some hot head on soon lol

never ventured onto forum when i had my scoob so missed that lovely stuff then did see hundreds of them at a show recent thought the owners were proper up themselves me I thrashed the **** out of mine day and night with minimal problems compared to the abuse

marc69
24-08-14, 08:09 PM
Depends where abouts in Scotland it is.....

bazzap8389
24-08-14, 08:26 PM
There's a c20let nova on gumtree for £2800

nova_stee
25-08-14, 08:39 AM
Not a chance in hell heaven or even ****ing tescos would a xe nova beat a evo 8 thats just pure fairy dust

turbojolt
25-08-14, 09:22 AM
Not a chance in hell heaven or even ****ing tescos would a xe nova beat a evo 8 thats just pure fairy dust

Drove the 260gsr you ever driven one? Its boring!

nova_stee
25-08-14, 09:46 AM
Drove the 260gsr you ever driven one? Its boring!
Aye there usless why they made them that power al never no

turbojolt
25-08-14, 09:55 AM
I dont think i like 4 wheel drive had more fun driving my old mx5

Flairing Nova
25-08-14, 11:59 AM
C
Depends where abouts in Scotland it is.....

Its in brechin
Im phoning the guy today

Flairing Nova
25-08-14, 12:02 PM
There's a c20let nova on gumtree for £2800
I can't see that. Link please!

craig green
25-08-14, 12:21 PM

Ditto. A converted Nova is a running project, with the engine & parts that arent meant to be there, they always need tinkering & a knowledge of where the parts all came from. GM oem parts are no longer in good supply so you'll need a patient parts guy at your local motor factors. I'm not putting down a 2.0 Nova as a toy, but you will need to be a Nova enthusiast to run one sensibly. LET engines are waay more temperamental over the XE's.

Andy
25-08-14, 12:26 PM
Most new common rail diesels would blow a redtop nova away

craig green
25-08-14, 12:35 PM
Most new common rail diesels would blow a redtop nova away

Not really a comparison or an option I doubt.

bazzap8389
25-08-14, 01:39 PM
Here's a link to the c20let one, needs a bit of work though. Spoke to someone a few days ago who went to see the one in Brechin. It was advertised as mint and he says it was a shed, a rough xe conversion.

http://m.gumtree.com/p/vauxhall/vauxhall-nova-turbo-280-bhp-may-swap-px-car-bike-trailer-why-/1076559399

Edit, just checked my messages it wasn't the one in Brechin it was in Montrose. Could easy be the same one though only a few miles apart.

Flairing Nova
25-08-14, 02:57 PM
Here's a link to the c20let one, needs a bit of work though. Spoke to someone a few days ago who went to see the one in Brechin. It was advertised as mint and he says it was a shed, a rough xe conversion.

http://m.gumtree.com/p/vauxhall/vauxhall-nova-turbo-280-bhp-may-swap-px-car-bike-trailer-why-/1076559399

Edit, just checked my messages it wasn't the one in Brechin it was in Montrose. Could easy be the same one though only a few miles apart.

Thanks bazzap.
again in Scotland :(
think I need to be patient and wait for more local as driving 1000 mile / £500 round trip for a shed is a bitch!
i reckon it could be the same one then...blue, xe, needs a few little bits done etc...
humph! Thought I could have had it all sorted before back to work!

blue_peg_16v
25-08-14, 03:51 PM
Having had both the let is on another planet speed wise but I miss the xe's reliability and utter abuse they take, that's why my sr is getting an xe with cams and carbs and a shot of nos for the drag strip

craig green
25-08-14, 04:22 PM
A well converted & sweet running XE with subtle mods is a pretty handy tool. A poor conversion, shonky gear linkage, inappropriate suspension, cheap tyres, bad exhaust etc etc is why so many get a bad rep. With the extensive knowledge I have of running Novas for 15 years I'd sooner build rather than buy just for the sake of knowing what you have. Buying converted is sure to unearth various issues as the days tick by after purchase. That's not to say there aren't good converted Novas out there but I reckon the likelyhood of finding a shed is higher.

nova_stee
25-08-14, 05:52 PM
A well converted & sweet running XE with subtle mods is a pretty handy tool. A poor conversion, shonky gear linkage, inappropriate suspension, cheap tyres, bad exhaust etc etc is why so many get a bad rep. With the extensive knowledge I have of running Novas for 15 years I'd sooner build rather than buy just for the sake of knowing what you have. Buying converted is sure to unearth various issues as the days tick by after purchase. That's not to say there aren't good converted Novas out there but I reckon the likelyhood of finding a shed is higher.
i think building one yourself gives you a better bond with the car and its more yours

philip
25-08-14, 07:01 PM
build one and xe it on tbs. more fun. more reliable and cheaper to repair.

craig green
25-08-14, 08:30 PM
I'd still have a std SFI myself, TB's & mapping (+ the slippery slope of cams, mapping & rods letting go) will end up in LET terms of outlay.

blue_peg_16v
26-08-14, 04:16 PM
True craig but with my old set up I treated bottom ends as a consumable part lol you can get a full xe for £200-£300 a let is nocking on 1k and when it's going on track and the drag strip getting abuse I wanna cheap fix to a problem lol, xe on 48s with mildish cams to keep the round town driving friendly

craig green
26-08-14, 04:35 PM
That's fair enough, I'm not trying to hammer home my point.
Having been in a couple XE's on carbs i'd still choose the SFi, carbs felt slower if anything.

Flairing Nova
26-08-14, 09:17 PM
I will just have to see what comes up!
been an interesting read though so thank you all

marc69
26-08-14, 11:06 PM
[QUOTE=Flairing Nova;2241075]C

Its in brechin
Im phoning the guy today[/QUOT

Brechin is only a 2-3 hour round trip from here so if you are serious about it, I might be able to look for you at a weekend?

Flairing Nova
26-08-14, 11:11 PM
I decided not to go for it just due to it costing me around £500 round trip.
Will try to source more locally and spend that cash on the car instead of travelling.
but thanks ever so much for the offer! Will remember that for next time ;-) ha ha

marc69
26-08-14, 11:12 PM
No Probs. I once bought a car from Bournemouth area and hadn't seen it in real life, luckily it was even better in real life!

Flairing Nova
26-08-14, 11:17 PM
Yeah it can go either way!
As this will be a second car I'll wait a few more months if needed!
looking at some 1.6s at the moment, one on here and one on eBay....that one is Scotland too!