PDA

View Full Version : First Car need some help

kerondav16
24-08-14, 09:24 AM
Hi Guys My name is Keron I have just bought a Nova 1.2 Mert as first car, Dad has said to upgrade Brakes without going over the top e.g. cheap he has said ask if you can fit 1.3 SR callipers and disks without changing hubs? to improve braking, Also without the Exhaust looking out of place what is best manifold and exhaust set up to do?

Hope I can get some help :d

mowgli
24-08-14, 09:32 AM
hi, welcome to png.

re the brakes, SR calipers are the same as what you have already. get yourself some non vented calipers off a corsa b. they are the same size as your original ones but way better than the original nova ones. you really don't need massive brakes on a 1.2. also, get your rear brakes cleaned up, serviced & readjusted( the self adjusters seize). it is the quickest and cheapest way to make nova brakes better.
is the engine a carb or spi version?
if it is spi, then you need to use an exhaust with a lambda sensor port.
if it is the original carb 1.2 4-1 manifold & single pipe, then you can replace the front end with one from a 1.3 or 1.4 carb engine. or you could find a complete system off a gte/gsi. they are better, but not interchangeable with the early types.

you can fit a decent aftermarket back box to all versions, but remember, the mk1 has a slightly different place where the exhaust finishes compared to the mk2

dgbnova#1
24-08-14, 10:06 AM
Re the breaks you can upgrade to vented Corsa brakes from Corsa Gsi or sport also cheap and better or go for bigger breaks 256 mm ones but you will require 14" wheels minimum for these
on a nova as your first car you cannot have to much Brakeing power that's for sure

manifold as above Gte Gsi setup is your best bet will look factory and no need to declare it to insurance always handy on first car

millworm
24-08-14, 12:43 PM
I run corsa sport 1.4 vented brakes on mine and they still fit under 13" wheels. 1.6 sport brakes will fit but not under 13"s

also spot some pics of your car :)

kerondav16
26-08-14, 04:42 PM
Thanks guys for updates will fit standard new discs to get through MOT then swap to SR brakes and try to find a GSI/GTE exhaust system will post some photos of the car in next couple of days it has had one real owner since new with only 53k on the clock still has original radio not even a cassette player one :wtf:

mowgli
26-08-14, 07:50 PM
the SR brakes are just as crap as the original nova base model ones, because they are the exact same parts... the SR was just a 1.3 hatch in drag with a lowered diff... use non vented corsa b ones... they actually fitted them to the very last of the novas so insurers won't bat an eyelid