PDA

View Full Version : doing my head in now

dave.gsi
14-09-03, 12:29 PM
my car is seriously starting to fuck me off now. the engine seems to get stuck and it'll hold the revs at whatever it was at and won't go down whatever you do. say i'm driving at 40 in fourth at say 2500 rpm, i'll stop at traffic lights and put the clutch in and the engine will stick at 2500 rpm. it does it every time now, even driving along you can put the clutch in and it'll hold whatever revs you were on.

i've checked the big pipe after the airflow meter for splits and found a tiny one which i've sealed up but it still happens. all the other pipes look fine and in good condition, any other ideas??

dave.gsi
14-09-03, 04:17 PM
no one any ideas??

its not so much sticking now as being a bit slow. when you put the clutch in driving along it takes about two seconds to drop back down to idle speed. shouldn't it drop back instantly??

i think its gonna have to go to vauxhall tommorow :(

Ian_Gsi16v
14-09-03, 05:06 PM
Throttle body coked up with crap?? Accelerator cable to tight??

Dunno mate, on mine its never nothin simple

dave.gsi
14-09-03, 05:20 PM
throttle body looked o'k, bit of oil but nothing major. the cable is loose if anything and i've greased up the linkage incase that was sticking but still no joy.

getting some funny looks sitting at the lights revving at like 4000rpm. then you have to stab the accelarator pedal sharply before it'll drop back to idle speed :lol:

DUNOVA.
14-09-03, 05:43 PM
Mine is doin exacly the same thing mate I think it might be something to do with the choke coz mine started doin it just after i put a new choke on

Stuart
14-09-03, 05:50 PM
throttle return spring tired??

curved throttle spindle causing slow return.

sticky throttle pot.

id put a small ammount of dosh on it being the spring though

Aragorn
14-09-03, 06:05 PM
well if it does it all the time the first point would be to replicate it while the vehilce is stationary then get under the bonnet and have a look

could be a sticking throttle cable or return spring

gunk on the internals of the spindle stopping it close properly

biggest thing is this... the engine CANT rev to 4k with the throttle butterfly closed - so its more than likely some kinda mechanical fault with the butterfly

ive got a few throttle bodys sitting here and before i fitted mine i gave it all a good clean with degreaser - ive got another body thats not been cleaned and is covered in oil and the linkage barley moves - its really hard to open and it sticks in the open position unless you push it closed

get it to stick then open the bonnet and try manually closing the butterfly with the linkage - if it stops revving then thats the culprit

dave.gsi
14-09-03, 06:49 PM
i've had a look today with the engine sticking and the cable is at the idle position. the spring is spot on, dead strong and quick to pull the cable back so it cant be that. had the rubber hose and airflow meter/filter off today and as i say can't see anything wrong there. looking inside the throttle theres a little oil but nothing major and the flap thingy inside opens and closes fine when you move the cable.

might be the choke thing, what am i supposed to be looking for here??

Ste_Nova
14-09-03, 06:50 PM
carb cleaner..

dave.gsi
14-09-03, 06:51 PM
do what with it ?

clean the throttle body up??

pickle
14-09-03, 07:16 PM
me does sae oo, sound wll hity when the revs are reving high. but mine goes back down after about 10 seconds. i thought it was the choke. but aint had a look yet.

dave.gsi
14-09-03, 09:52 PM
had a look through the haynes manual and couldn't find anything about the choke. only chokes they had were for the carb engines and how to adjust the cable etc. i take it the gsi has auto choke, could this be malfuctioning and sticking somehow??

will be giving the throttle body a good clean tommorow to see if that helps

rysmee
14-09-03, 10:21 PM
Mine does the same too! at least we're not alone!
have you tried just blipping the throttle very slightly when it does it? this usually helps with mine, you may have to try a few times but the rev's eventually settle. apart from that i haven't found a proper cure.. i have tried testing every piece of the fuel and electric system plus egr valve etc and everything works ok so i gave up and i'm now fitting another engine(not just coz of the problem of course!)

dave.gsi
14-09-03, 10:33 PM
blipping the throttle returns the revs to normal only when you rev slightly higher than what its stuck at. when its revving its tits off i usually just turn off the ignition and start it up again.

it really is starting to piss me off now, plus i've got to do a double shift at work every day this week so i'll be up early tommorow trying again.