PDA

View Full Version : Off topic (Clio 172)

srs1
09-08-14, 12:12 AM
Anyone got any good suggestion to what to do with a Clio 172. Aiming to be a track toy

so looking at best suspension set up, brakes, essentric top mounts? Etc.

i know there's a world of knowledge on here for these cars. So can't hurt to ask.

Cheers

L14MNP
09-08-14, 03:02 PM
They're extremely funny* on here, mate. So expect a 'scrap/sell it' type comment.

Not from me, though. Great cars.

I would just give it a good service, change the pads for a more suitable compound and fit a fixed back bucket with harness and see how you get on.

Keep it cheap and simple at first, imo.

bazzap8389
09-08-14, 03:22 PM
I know bugger all about clios, been told they handle **** hot out the box though. For a track toy I'd at at least stick a cage, buckets and harnesses in though.

L14MNP
09-08-14, 03:28 PM
^ I forgot the cage...

turbojolt
09-08-14, 05:24 PM
From what ive read and been told they are great motors. just make sure its working right and go book a trackday and see whats what i supose

_Jake
09-08-14, 06:58 PM
My friend has a 172 with nothing more than some coil overs, proxes, full stainless and a big gay filter. have to say its awesome fun, if i was building a fwd track from scratch again now, it certainly wouldnt be a nova...

chris gsi
09-08-14, 07:13 PM
The 172 I had was a cracking car all I did to mine was a k-tec panel filter and eibach springs. I never took it on track but it did handle very well

srs1
09-08-14, 08:19 PM
Cheers guys. Ill look into more stuff like brake switching and best coil overs. Cage/harness's are always a good place for a track slag. See where his budget takes him.

Southie
09-08-14, 09:39 PM
The French know how to build a decent hot hatch IMO, the 172 and 182 are decent enough as standard, I'd have one tbh.

Southie
09-08-14, 09:40 PM
They're extremely funny* on here, mate. So expect a 'scrap/sell it' type comment.
You talk some cock sometimes limp lol

FatRS
09-08-14, 09:42 PM
I've got a 172 that my wife uses as a daily and we both use for track so it looks standard with no stripping or anything including standard seats but I've got FK Konigsports fully adjustable coilovers, braided brake lines, Brembo HC discs and ferodo DS2500 pads. This is sufficient on its own as they handle superbly well out the box.
Other mods I've got and are recognised as the best for the money is a Whiteline rear ARB, RS tuner remap to increase red line, spread the torque and reduce the pathetic fluctuating idle.
15" tyres for track with track tyres do wonders. Just be aware of Cambelt changes at 5 years. They can be expensive and will require aux belt, water pump and Dephaser pulley on its second change.

srs1
10-08-14, 10:00 AM
Are there any tricks like we do with the lower arms (plate them up) or any other car within the range that you can use there anti roll bars front or rear. Lower front strut. Also, not looked into this but do there top mounts adjust like we can with eccentric mounts.

So from sound of things, best get the engine belts done and a decent oil change etc. then get ds2500 pads and then some coil overs.

FatRS
10-08-14, 10:26 AM
Don't think other parts are interchangeable but you can get adjustable top mounts from Ktec or pure Motorsport. The latter are great with their strut brace. Don't bother with a rear brace as it does f all.

Novasport
10-08-14, 11:09 AM
I thought I heard the gearbox is a weak point on these. Plus the usual French build quality and electrics maybe?

FatRS
10-08-14, 11:51 AM
Not for this age. As bulletin proof as you'd hope. The latter 197/200, yes, very fragile in many areas, especially gearboxes. Check out cliosport.net for all the info you need.

paddy235
10-08-14, 12:20 PM
Everyone I know who's had a clio sport has had a crunch into 3rd not an easy job to change the gear box too

srs1
10-08-14, 05:13 PM
Thanks guys. Some good things to think about.

_Jake
10-08-14, 06:03 PM
I thought I heard the gearbox is a weak point on these. Plus the usual French build quality and electrics maybe?

my friend drives his ridiculously hard all the time and is still on the original box, so i think theyre pretty good lol

EwanG
10-08-14, 08:17 PM
Everyone I know who's had a clio sport has had a crunch into 3rd not an easy job to change the gear box too
My old one had this problem and it only had 24k miles on it!

meritlover
10-08-14, 08:58 PM
my friend drives his ridiculously hard all the time and is still on the original box,

good to know!

Stuart
10-08-14, 10:04 PM
I had a 182, basically an xe nova but built as right as the French permit.

all I did was change the front pads to carbon Lorraine cl5+ and new fluid. Was doing endos :)
i saw the Clio lot **** themselves silly over brembo (basically oem) discs and the ds2500 pads but I don't do crowd following lol
one thing to bear in mind is they can eat rear bearings and its new discs time then too as its all together n shiz.

Mieran
11-08-14, 09:57 PM
They dont handle as well as the internet says, imo.

jimbob-mcgrew
12-08-14, 01:05 AM
a friend of mine has a sports cat for one of these, he was planning on selling it cheap.
has been sat in its original box, in his bedroom for the last 6 months. its only done 500 miles.

probably free up a couple pony's for the track.
i can get some more info/pics sometime for you, if your interested ?

Stuart
12-08-14, 07:57 AM
They dont handle as well as the internet says, imo.

Mine was great, exceptional for a cheap fwd car imho, but it was one of the few cars that was very critical on tyres...as in the wet and dry road handling was ruined when I changed from the michelins to another decent brand and model of tyre that has worked well for me in the past

mk1nova_rich
12-08-14, 08:02 AM
A mate had a Cup, cracking little car straight out the box - dare I say one of the last proper hot hatches

Connor
12-08-14, 01:01 PM
Had a 172 cup last year. All it had was cup shocks w/eiback springs, i chucked some comps i had refurbed from a previous project with some new toyo t1r's new mintex discs and pads all round and used and abused it. It had a full ktec (182) exhaust system and cda cold air induction system and was very nippy/fun and kept up with cars it probably shouldn't of. Mine was stripped out with fixed buckets and harnesses. Really do recommend them, the f4r's in them are really quite strong, love to rev and aslong as they are serviced when they are meant to be and the cambelt and dephaser pulleys are actually fitted correctly then you should have no issues, the gearboxes as mentioned are quite weak, mine went in 3rd, you can rebuild them on the cheap but its not an easy task. Interior is the downfall, terrible quality, plenty of creaks and noises but never bothered me as mine was just a toy. If its a track i would go for a cup if you can, no abs/aircon to p1ss about with, they come with decent suspension setup standard and have a (slightly) wider front track. If you can blag a drive in one beforehand i would advise to.
https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t1.0-9/1476254_10152079155824926_1003974752_n.jpg

Pistol Pete
13-08-14, 10:22 AM
Every time i contemplate selling the Nova (quite alot recently!) one of these or a Civic Type R come top of my list. My mate has one and he really rates it.

IMO the french know how to build a hot hatch as some have said. As Stuart also said, these are an XE Nova equivalent!!! But but from the factory.

srs1
13-08-14, 07:42 PM
Great info guys. I've always said when I finally kill my nova then it will be replaced by one of these. As described by many. A fun car straight away. No need for silly engine upgrades to make it good fun.

Southie
13-08-14, 07:47 PM
Back in the day I always wanted a MK1 Williams Clio just to save time and effort building an XE nova lol

mk1nova_rich
13-08-14, 08:04 PM
Back in the day I always wanted a MK1 Williams Clio just to save time and effort building an XE nova lol

Said mate who had a Cup ended up getting a Williams 2...fantastic little car. Looked and handled well but the interior trim was atrocious lol think Mk1 dash but far cheaper and nastier