PDA

View Full Version : Octane Plug

Funkdocta
14-09-03, 10:01 AM
Alright all,

Changed my octane plug from 95 to 98 about a week ago, made a hell of a difference. The only fuel I ever use is Optimax. Is this all ok? Can I do any harm to my engine?? If in an emergancy I had to use standard premium unleaded could I just switch the plug back to 95?

Also, thinking about getting a FSE Power Boost Valve for my GTE but i've heard some Boost Valves work better on curtain cars? Will I notice much of a difference for ?100?

Cheeerzz.

Dicko
14-09-03, 04:06 PM
just swop the plug depending on what fuel youv put in!! ur also supposeto resetthe ecu by unpluging it or unpluging battery. powerboost valve will help a bit if you get it setup correctly!"

Aamir
15-09-03, 11:44 AM
Can someone please explain what an ocane plug is ?

I have a 'k' plate Nova GSi & I have always run it on Optimax,
only owned the car for 2 months.

Thank You

MC
15-09-03, 12:01 PM
Curtain cars? Ones with twin tastle conversions? :lol:

An octane plug is used on some injected vauxhalls. It can normally be found at the back of the engine bay and can be used to adjust for different octane fuels.

A higher octane fuel will resist detonation and the engine can be advanced further. If you advance your engine and use low octane fuel, you will do damage. The octane plug enables a switch, although be careful wilth it.

moffat sri
15-09-03, 11:53 PM
So for just a quick, one word answer:
When using Optimax, should the Octane plug be set to 98 for better performance?

Dicko
16-09-03, 07:27 AM
yes

Jules
16-09-03, 09:18 AM
Can someone please explain what an ocane plug is ?

I have a 'k' plate Nova GSi & I have always run it on Optimax,
only owned the car for 2 months.

Thank You

As MC said, look at the back of the engine near the brake servo, you should see a (probably) black plug which has 95 on one side and (probably) 93 on the other, this is the octane plug and it denotes what the maximum RON rating of fuel you can put in the car, so if yours says 95 then putting 98RON Optimax won't make a difference, unless you go to a scrapyard and get a brown 95/98 plug, unplug your black one, plug the brown one in so that the 98 faces upwards and you should now see the benefits of using Optimax.
Word of warning though, if you have it set at 98 and you put non-Optimax petrol in (I.E standard unleadead 95RON you should unplug the octane plug turn it over and plug it back in so 95 faces up to avoid any pinking).
I think that's correct........
:roll:

Dicko
16-09-03, 09:43 AM
that more than 1 word mate!!

Aamir
16-09-03, 04:14 PM
Great, sounds straight forward, which car comes equipped with a 95/98ron octane plug that is compatible with "k" reg Nova GSi ?

Dicko
16-09-03, 10:32 PM
any vuax ron plug that has 95/98 will work

obviously the A/B ron plugs wont work.

moffat sri
16-09-03, 11:46 PM
Great, sounds straight forward, which car comes equipped with a 95/98ron octane plug that is compatible with "k" reg Nova GSi ?

I have a 95/98 RON plug on my engine. The engine is a M reg ('94) Corsa SRI engine.

Aamir
17-09-03, 11:54 AM
Hey Funkdocta, which car did you get your 95/98 ron plug from ?

Dicko
17-09-03, 01:26 PM
my sri had 1 b4 i took the engine out and fitted the 16v :P

Jules
17-09-03, 06:51 PM
I borrowed the one from my cousin's Astra3 'Cesaro' and gave her mine when my next door neighbour had it in for a service!!!
She wouldn't know one end of a spanner from the other so she won't notice!!!
:twisted: