PDA

View Full Version : old basic immobiliser

jimbob-mcgrew
08-08-14, 08:46 PM
i have an old basic immobiliser that im thinking of installing.
it has a simple 8 pin keyfob that plugs into a dash mounted housing, the 8 wires go to various wires on just the ignition switch (i think).

ive dug a bit online searching for model info/company info, anything to help, but found out the company was bought out in 1991, and didnt have a website before that anyhow, so the trail went pretty cold.

is there any way i can use a multi-meter to test which way its supposed to be wired up ? maybe test the continuity of the keyfob pins ?

its a sealed unit, so i cant open it up to have look how its laid out inside. im not 100% sure how these things work mind, *immobiliser noob* .. but by the age of this one, id imagine its dead basic, with no electronic parts inside.

ta for any idea's :thumb:

Novasport
08-08-14, 08:55 PM
Why? Just get a decent Thatcham approved one fitted properly, it will help with insurance too.

Johnny A
09-08-14, 10:35 AM
I have a cool little immobiliser that connects to the ignition and it's simply a relay. The relay is connected to a micro momentary switch you hide. You turn the ignition on and hit the switch and you can start the car. The relay remains energised for as long as the ignition is on. You can build it for £10, I can get you the diagram if you want.

jimbob-mcgrew
09-08-14, 12:24 PM
cheers johnny.

ill have a play with this one first to see if i can suss it out.
from what i can tell, it looks like it routes the switched live and the starter wire, in and out of the immobiliser, and wont let power through without the keyfob. (being so old, i thought it might just bridge the pins to complete the circuit, but i think theres something going on inside of it)

thanks tho, ill pm you at a later date, for you idea, if i dont have any luck :thumb: