PDA

View Full Version : Vauxhall nova horn won't stop!! Even without steering wheel on!

BillyNova
07-08-14, 07:48 PM
Basically changed my steering wheel for a gsi one, haven't lost anything and now my horn is on continuous even without a steering wheel on the column ! Does anyone know what's happened and how I can shut it up lol

BillyNova
07-08-14, 07:49 PM
And no I'm not removing a fuse lol.. I need it fixed mot is soon

millworm
07-08-14, 07:51 PM
Little switch that sticks out of the column is probably stuck on

mowgli
07-08-14, 07:51 PM
pull the centre push off, and look at the wiring inside. if it stops when you pull it off, then you have squashed the switch innards. its easy enough to pop them back out. if not, then you have got a wiring short somewhere else.

BillyNova
07-08-14, 07:52 PM
Ok cheers :) il have a look

BillyNova
07-08-14, 07:53 PM
But it does it even without steering wheel on .. And the switch isn't stuck?

millworm
07-08-14, 08:31 PM
Then I'd say you've pissed the wires off further down, post some pics

mowgli
07-08-14, 08:35 PM
iirc, on a nova, the power feeds one side of the horn, and the other side goes to the switch, which in turn goes to earth..
so I think you have got the wire between the horn & the switch earthing.

meritlover
07-08-14, 09:28 PM
If you disconnect the battery it should stop.

craig green
07-08-14, 09:56 PM
This happened to me on my 1st Nova, I had to pull the fuse as it happened whilst I was out, trouble was I found out due to the rain that the horn shares the fuse as the wipers.

BillyNova
07-08-14, 10:06 PM
����������������

jimbob-mcgrew
08-08-14, 03:40 AM
if its just happened after changing the wheel, id imagine its the column pin thats earthing possibly.

you see the little brass pin sticking out of the end of the column.
that pin contacts the circular metal ring on the back of the steering wheel, which sends power to the horn switch.
check that pin hasnt been knocked downwards, or the wires come off the back of it.

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv57/mk1nova_rich/2012-02-08123321.jpg

stockcar123
11-09-14, 10:43 AM
Hi did we find out why the horn was staying on because my horn is doing the same thing

jimbob-mcgrew
11-09-14, 09:57 PM
i had it a couple weeks ago too, the brass ring at the back of the steering wheel came loose.
the plastic lugs that set it into the wheel got brittle and snapped, causing it to pull away from the wheel, which isnt a problem untill you turn the wheel, then the positive wire gets yanked round with it, and gets pinched and exposes the inner wire.
as its surrounded everywhere by earth points, it cant help short, triggering the horn non-stop.

the horn randomly blasting out through a quiet neighbourhood at 1am was a bit unexpected for me.
had to switch car off and pull the fuse out to get it to shutup.

pulling the fuse is a quick easy fix, when your in a pinch, but watch out, as i think the rad fan is on the same circuit.

vxrcopey
14-09-14, 01:34 PM
i have same problem lol!!

and i had the same the horn blasting through neibourhood at all hours..

only thing is i cannot get my wheel off. its rock solid. anyone got any handy tips?

Jonesfach
14-09-14, 01:39 PM
i have same problem lol!!

and i had the same the horn blasting through neibourhood at all hours..

only thing is i cannot get my wheel off. its rock solid. anyone got any handy tips?

You will need a puller. Got mine from vauxhall years ago. Not sure if you will get it off without the proper puller.
I think the steering wheel got bent getting it off the car it was mega tight.
good luck

vxrcopey
16-09-14, 10:18 AM
You will need a puller. Got mine from vauxhall years ago. Not sure if you will get it off without the proper puller.
I think the steering wheel got bent getting it off the car it was mega tight.
good luck

Yeah ah it's absolutely solid.. It literrly ain't budging..

nova_niek
27-09-14, 12:19 PM
Undo the centre nut a few turns, (just enough to cover up any exposed threads), raise your legs under the steering wheels just so you put pressure on from below and gently hammer away at the centre nut. The steering wheel should come loose - if you're lucky. If this fails, get a puller.