PDA

View Full Version : Running Multiple Oil Sandwich Plates 'Piggyback'

jeremy fisher
05-08-14, 12:43 PM
Hi all,

I am thinking of fitting an oil cooler after seeing some rather high temps on track. I already have a sandwich plate for temp and pressure gauges. Would there be any reason to not add the take off sandwich plate for the cooler on top? So I would have two sandwich plates on top of each other. Obviously my oil filter will sit further out but I have plenty of room for that. I have looked for a sandwich plate with take off's for gauges but I want a thermostatic one and can't find any that tick all the boxes. Anyone have any experience of this? Reasons not to?

Thanks

Nick

Iain
05-08-14, 12:45 PM
No spare oil gallery blanks or threads in the oil pump to use? I have oil temp, pressure, light switch etc all running off various blanks on my XE

Stuart
05-08-14, 01:06 PM
If you want to fit that much stuff, I'd consider remote mounting the filter and then using sensor blocks to mount the sensors and keep one sandwich plate.

jeremy fisher
05-08-14, 06:05 PM
I'm not aware of any place on the pump I can use. Its an X16XEL, anyone know if there should be any? I'll have a look anyway.

Stuart, by sensor blocks I take it you mean an inline fitting with threaded holes for the sensors? Where can I find those?
I can get a sandwich plate with take off's to pipe to a cooler and holes for my sensors but no thermostat. I could use an inline thermostat instead but I was trying to keep it as simple as possible... hmmmm

Benn
05-08-14, 09:10 PM
Cant you buy a sandwitch plate with the ports in them? You get two ports (pressure and temp) then you wont have stuff stacking up and up...

jeremy fisher
06-08-14, 12:40 PM
I currently have a sandwich plate for my sensors but want to add a cooler and can't get a sandwich plate with ports for sensors and for pipes to cooler and a thermostat. Stacking the plates seemed like the cheapest and easiest option. I just wasn't sure if it was a good idea, though couldn't really see why it would cause any problems.

Iain
06-08-14, 12:44 PM
I can't see why it would have any adverse effects stacking them and one having the thermostat, just need to find a bolt long enough to go through two of them I guess.

GDN16v
06-08-14, 01:10 PM
Pressure gauge could read of the original sensor hole and temp could be taken off a sensor mounted in the sump - freeing up the 2 in the sandwich plate.

Benn
06-08-14, 03:31 PM
I currently have a sandwich plate for my sensors but want to add a cooler and can't get a sandwich plate with ports for sensors and for pipes to cooler and a thermostat. Stacking the plates seemed like the cheapest and easiest option. I just wasn't sure if it was a good idea, though couldn't really see why it would cause any problems.

I've seen them before i'm sure.

Infact the first one that came up on ebay....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Cooler-Filter-Sandwich-Plate-Adapter-Vauxhall-Astra-Vectra-Corsa-M18-x-1-5-/400752351012?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d4eb39724

Iain
06-08-14, 03:58 PM
Doesn't have a thermostat built in like an OE sandwich plate Benn....

Benn
06-08-14, 04:13 PM
Ah poo forgot that.. But there are pages and pages of them.... Have a look through them and you'll find something quick.

Stuart
06-08-14, 04:28 PM
rally design have a fair selection, also worth calling them to get better help

jeremy fisher
07-08-14, 12:22 PM
There are 'Mishimoto' ones on ebay that have everything I want, but they aint cheap, and dont come with fittings for the cooler piping, just threaded holes, so something else to buy.
With regards to bolting up the assembly, if stacking them, due to the male/female design of the bolts for the sandwich plates, I could just 'stack' those too.
It seems I could do it another way, but nobody has given any real reason not to, so I may just go for the stacking option.
Thanks for the input.

Stuart
07-08-14, 01:02 PM
I guess if you stack them up then the oil filter will be further out and more at risk of being hit by something etc, also more joints = more chanc6e of a leak

novanova636
07-08-14, 09:47 PM
What about taking your current plate down to a machine shop and get them to drill and tap some larger holes on the other side to the sensors?

Iain
07-08-14, 10:12 PM
The sandwich plate bolt is male male isn't it?

jeremy fisher
09-08-14, 11:36 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/151355061826?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0
Female onto the engine, male to accept the filter.
Machining would still mean no thermostat.
I think whichever way I do it there's going to be more joins, if anything I would say this way would make the least amount of joins. Compared to running an inline thermostat, or sensor blocks in the lines.
I've managed to find a couple of threads on other forums saying people have done it with no ill affects so I might give it a go.

jimbob-mcgrew
09-08-14, 12:53 PM
iain's idea of using the galley blanks sounds like the ideal option to me.
can you not do that on the 16xe ?

otherwise your gonna end up with a sandwich plate sandwich for lunch !

are you running one of these for oil pressure ?

http://www.autocarspare.com/img/1803/1252563_b.jpg

jeremy fisher
10-08-14, 01:11 PM
I'm not aware of any blanks that I could use. Had a look on the pump and couldn't see any.
My pressure sensor is something along those lines, think it's a swoosh one or something?

Benn
10-08-14, 07:06 PM
They are on the block, not pump.

jeremy fisher
11-08-14, 12:31 PM
Oh, well I don't remember seeing any when I built the engine. Unless I can use the ones in the end of the block that are usually blocked with allen head grub screws, but I can see space possibly being an issue with them.