PDA

View Full Version : Carcoon

murph-gsi
03-08-14, 11:13 AM
Am going buying a Carcoon as somebody in the house tipped the bonnet a small( I nearly killed them). Was chatting to my friend who a really good dent man and he said don't sweat it, paint isn't damaged so I won't even notice when he is done. Also he said he would remove any other small ripples:thumb:

My garage is a good size but on the door opening I only have 4.4m to play with. So a quick few questions:
- What size carcoon, is the best option.

Size 3 Carcoon (regular)
Dimensions: 425cm x 160cm (14" x 5'3")

Size 3 Carcoon (large)
Dimensions: 425cm x 200cm (14' x 6'6")

As I seen one for sale the size 3 reg one for fairly cheap and also the size 4 one 4.7m for a similar price. I was thinking the size 3 reg would be too small width wise and the size 4 would be too long?

-Is the any other option to the Carcoon that won't rob the bank?

Cheers Chris.

mowgli
03-08-14, 01:15 PM
get a sectional garage free off ebay???? well, round here, people love to give them away

Kev Turbo
03-08-14, 01:23 PM
Pretty sure mine is a size 4 - Lots of room for a small nova.
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww78/kev_vaux/Nova%20gsi/Interior%20Upgrade/c201c4d9-b108-43ac-877c-24a09a872890.jpg (http://s707.photobucket.com/user/kev_vaux/media/Nova%20gsi/Interior%20Upgrade/c201c4d9-b108-43ac-877c-24a09a872890.jpg.html)
This is a size 3 large if I remember correctly - Keith's car but now my carcoon.
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww78/kev_vaux/Other/Novacarcoon005.jpg (http://s707.photobucket.com/user/kev_vaux/media/Other/Novacarcoon005.jpg.html)
http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww78/kev_vaux/Other/Novacarcoon011.jpg (http://s707.photobucket.com/user/kev_vaux/media/Other/Novacarcoon011.jpg.html)
Not a lot in it really as I have seen them side by side and I would say there is a foot in it length wise once inflated. Sorry for poor pictures but its the best I have.

murph-gsi
03-08-14, 02:51 PM
Thats great Kev, love the pics. Made my mind up and am definitely getting one now!
Do ya reckon it would fit width wise in the size 3 reg (1.6m wide) or is the large size 3 (2m wide) the best bet. Only reason is I can get a 2nd hand one for cheaper than £400 posted. Seems car might be tight:confused:

Kev Turbo
03-08-14, 03:03 PM
I have a feeling now you mention the sizes that mine is a size 3 regular. 1.6m seems enough room to me.
They do inflate out wards to a certain extent. Love to see some pictures of yours before you out it away :)

murph-gsi
03-08-14, 03:10 PM
Hmmm I might chance the size 3 reg after you saying that haha. I was thinking that from the pics that they do go out a bit. Thanks for the help, if I get a good price on the reg one I will buy otherwise I think I will just buy a new one in the large size. Have some pics on my phone must have a look and throw them up. It hasnt got out much this year but I have a small list to do for it for the winter. I will prob paint the fuel tank up silver, replace the rad with a new valeo one( if I get one, need part number as there is 3 choices for a GSi. I want the C16SE one). Then put her in the Carcoon :)

Kev Turbo
04-08-14, 08:55 AM
Just to confirm the above red carcoon is a size 3 reg.

murph-gsi
04-08-14, 11:11 AM
Thats Keith above red one that is the size 3 reg? If so its looks big enough for the job.

Wazza30
04-08-14, 04:09 PM
Are these carcoon any good as I was thinking of getting one as well but never knew what size to get

Kev Turbo
04-08-14, 05:28 PM
IMO there great for a long term storage option

As per above conversation get a size 3 regular

Wazza30
04-08-14, 09:53 PM
IMO there great for a long term storage option

As per above conversation get a size 3 regular

Well i keep my in a garage over winter and wondered how useful carcoons are, sorry to sound stupid guessing they keep moisture out and do they get warm inside them?

Where's the best place to look for them?

murph-gsi
04-08-14, 10:07 PM
Don't know if they get warm inside but the whole point of them is to keep the moisture and any particles out. So basically it remains the same as when you put it in.

From what I can see have a look on bidding sites and on www.carcoon.com as well. Although they are rather expensive!

Wazza30
04-08-14, 10:20 PM
I didn't think they get warm but that's ok but more to keep it nice instead of covered in dirt and and keep moisture out.

Ill have a look i can't imagine them being cheap but worth it i suppose

NovalutionGSi
06-08-14, 12:45 PM
I'm going to have to get one myself although I only have a "small" garage! Best go and do some measuring!

dgbnova#1
06-08-14, 02:41 PM
Novas are 1550 mirror to mirror so 1600 should be fine after it's bulged out

I think some of them can be specked with heaters and de humidity option as iv seen AMG DTM stored in one

Wazza30
06-08-14, 03:00 PM
Does anyone use them already if so do you get a size 3 regular? I guess you can add heaters if you wanted to I will have to have a browse

Nova Joyed
07-08-14, 07:43 AM
I have also been thinking of getting a Carcoon or similar before winter. I like the look of the Cairo-o-port from Hamilton Classics, it is probably slightly larger than a Carcoon because it has an external frame, but has the added benefit that you can get the car in and out / check on it easily. Also it may offer more protection from bumps and bangs due to the frame. Everytime my 4 year says "Daddy my bike is stuck in the garage, but I have got it past your Nova" I nearly have a nervous break down!

Kev Turbo
07-08-14, 08:00 AM
In my opinion the Carcoon offers plenty of protection once inflated. For example if you did manage to drop a push bike against the side of an inflated Carcoon I would be fairly confident that it would protect the car.

It is a bit of a pain put the car in and out of but I see this as more of a long term storage solution. One point to note is that is I would recommend 2 people to help place the top cover over or you will scratch the paintwork. The generation 2 version is much better as it has a fabric roof in as pictured in the above posts.