PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please

totalnova
29-07-14, 11:58 AM
I'm going to start building an engine for a nova and I was wondering what people think is the best place to start either a x16xe or a small block 1.8. Don't want to go red top or turbo and it's not my daily so I'm wanting to do something different might be a supercharger, I know this has been before but not sure if it has in a nova.

opinions please.

_Tomiboy
29-07-14, 12:03 PM
Smallblock 1.8 with dbilas style inlet manifold, exhaust manifold, head porting.

totalnova
29-07-14, 12:20 PM
I'm sure that's been done before. My mate has just supercharged is 2.0 zetec and I love the sound. Just don't know if the x16xe or x16xe1 is the best starting point.

Stuart
29-07-14, 12:25 PM
Just do NOT pay the new (or even semi used) prices for the awful dilbert stuff.

totalnova
29-07-14, 12:29 PM
I have no plans to pay top price for anything hahaha I'm a tight git or so the wife says.

_Tomiboy
29-07-14, 01:50 PM
There is a supercharged z18xe on the migweb, so no not make it. :)

craig green
29-07-14, 05:01 PM
Forced induction 1.8 smallblock would be my choice.

Scottcooper85
29-07-14, 06:11 PM
Supercharged or a turbo charged 1.8 would be pretty cool. It all rests on how big you want the expense and head ache to be I suppose though.

meritlover
29-07-14, 06:17 PM
im not really sure what you're asking.

its completely unclear what your budget, purpose for the engine or even if you have the ability to do any of the above.
all of which contribute to the choice you make.

If you have the ability im surprised you're asking.

totalnova
29-07-14, 06:29 PM
im not really sure what you're asking.

its completely unclear what your budget, purpose for the engine or even if you have the ability to do any of the above.
all of which contribute to the choice you make.

If you have the ability im surprised you're asking.

the he budget is a around a couple of grand, but it will cost what ever it costs, I'm finally in a position financially and physically where I am able to get another nova that will be built over a year or two. It will be a second car that comes to shows and get a blast on weekends.
Clearly this is the biggest thing I have undertaken but I'm not stupid and as I said before I have a friend who will help out that has already done something similar.

The question I was asking and sorry if I wasn't clear was 1.6 or 1.8

_Tomiboy
29-07-14, 08:15 PM
Bigger is better. :)

Johnny A
29-07-14, 08:21 PM
for a perfect balance between handling, power and control you would be hard pressed to beat a supercharged 1.8 16v small block. An Eaton M45 if you are planning on no more than 10psi, Eaton M62 if over, other types of supercharger exist like the centrifugal type but these don't offer the low-down boost that makes the roots type so appealing.

Southie
29-07-14, 08:31 PM
Is this going to be a track car then?

2 grand ain't much these days if your wanting to do a decent engine conversion on something that's fairly unknown, a decent rebuild on the engine then finding all the right parts for turboing or supercharging are going to be time consuming, then mapping and setting it up properly will also be difficult.

Have you got friends in the know on this sort of thing? Not being funny, just trying to put things into perspective ;)

totalnova
29-07-14, 08:57 PM
It may make the odd visit to the track, but to be honest this is mainly a project to get me out the house and from under the wife's feet. Yes I've got friends that can help and I no doubt will be bugging the good people on here for help. I'll start a project thread once this get going. Now time to find a decent shell, this has been ten years in making and will happen. Ps any one have a decent shell? 3 door mk2 preferably

Southie
29-07-14, 08:59 PM
Just put up a wanted thread and take it from there ;)

Johnny A
29-07-14, 09:01 PM
Someone is selling rick drapers old shell on FB, it's expensive but you won't find a cleaner one

Southie
29-07-14, 09:02 PM
Someone is selling rick drapers old shell on FB, it's expensive but you won't find a cleaner one
I'd that the red one that mark headly had and sold on?

totalnova
29-07-14, 09:03 PM
Saw that, think it's no longer on there.

Johnny A
29-07-14, 09:14 PM
yeah it's still there, saw it advertised earlier today. I think he has had a lot of messers.

Rab
29-07-14, 10:56 PM
Understand the 1.6 aspect i.e lighter engine etc but a tuned xe (in my opinion!) would give u more power/fun for your 2k for what you'd be using it for

jimbob-mcgrew
30-07-14, 01:03 AM
if your upping the power a fair way, dont forget to strengthen the engine bay and surrounding areas with stitch welding, to stop the seams from splitting :thumb:

.. and a half decent set of brakes to stop the thing lol