PDA

View Full Version : Tuning a 1600 8v...

Ben
13-09-03, 07:10 PM
Basically just bought a GTE its pretty standard except it has a piper fast road cam.

I am not looking at spending much on the car but wouldnt mind exploring different ways to tune one.

I am going to buy a decent panel filter and drill the airbox as have been told this is much better than a Induction kit.

As most will know parts for me arent a problem so i can rape other heads and bottom ends etc to play with and then just bolt them on when ready to minimise the off road time.

The car is my main car so needs to be reliable and fairly good on the MPG front.

Just throw up some ideas, although i know everyone is just going to say Carbs Carbs carbs.....

Stuart
13-09-03, 07:19 PM
TB'S TB'S TB'S (just to be different to your expectations)

anyway

if you can get the dave vissard Ford SOHC tuning book, then take some ideas from that, if you cant get it CP has it or i can jsut recite loads nad loads to you with pics etc of odd things to do to the head, ie adding material to the bottom of the ports crazy but it acctually works (well according to the flow bench it does)

4 branch manifold, or make one with not such big bore pipe, yes it reduced top end but hey you will get a shed load more torque in the middle ;)

Ben
13-09-03, 07:22 PM
Yes im going to keep my eyes peeled for a 4 branch, i have a 16v one :roll:

When you want me to send you the head for tinkering? :wink:

Ben
13-09-03, 07:30 PM
50BHP of Nitrous oxide???

Dicko
14-09-03, 12:46 AM
drilled box works well, dunno if id bother with the uprated panel filter, makes 1bhp if that. vernier pulley if it doesnt have 1 that will aid the cam timing nicely :)

MC
15-09-03, 08:14 AM
I'd actually say that a cone filter works best on the GTE. Not many cars like em, but in my experience they do the job.

The throttle plate has a wedge on it, so take this off. You'll get improved flow. You can also flatten the throttlke spindle and knife edge the butterfly.

Fit DTA management, ditch the Air flow meter, and fit a filter straight to the TB.

Change the gearbox ratio's.

MC

Dicko
15-09-03, 10:31 AM
for once i disagree with MC :P

i tried a cone filter and tok it off again as i already had the drilled box.

after looking at a revs review and also a TV review it showed you get an extra 2-3 bhp from a drilled box than a cone filter AND then another 0.5-1bhp from an uprated panel filter (with the drilled box).

bad_boy_nova
15-09-03, 10:50 AM
What about if you had an induction kit, but you re-located the cone and put it half way down the front bumper where theres a hole so that cold air blasts into it? Would this be better than a drilled air box?

Aamir
15-09-03, 11:37 AM
Wouldn't it get wet from the road or pick up more dust ?

NovaNeil
15-09-03, 12:38 PM
I got 115bhp/112lb's Torque from my GSi (which had the earlier GTE engine)
All I had was a Magnex manifold and system, K&N induction kit and FSE Power boost valve.

bad_boy_nova
15-09-03, 02:03 PM
I got 115bhp from my GTE engine aswell! All its got is a peco bb2 backbox and a k&n. The guy at the tuning place is 99 percent certain that its got a cam in it, but ive not checked.

Ben
15-09-03, 05:39 PM
Thanks MC a few little ideas there.

115BHP from an exhaust and a filter is pure rubbish, not being nasty but i would want to seriously take it for a second opinion.

Stuart
15-09-03, 05:43 PM
to be honest a filter and exhaust will take an average (un reconned) gte/gsi back to factory 100bhp IMHO

locky
15-09-03, 06:22 PM
Well im expecting 90 on the rollers from a pipercross ind kit, and a rage backbox!
will tell u on the 4th of october.......

Ben
15-09-03, 06:37 PM
Fit DTA management, ditch the Air flow meter, and fit a filter straight to the TB.
MC

Anyone with a rough price for this? only a guide price as i know different places will vary on the DTA.

brian
15-09-03, 06:42 PM
Iain sells new 4 branchs for ?95 and full competition system for ?90!!!
Bought that setup for the rally car.

Mark
15-09-03, 06:44 PM
Brian, got the same stuff from Iain on my rally car..

match
15-09-03, 07:03 PM
who is ian and where can i get a full system 4 ?90?? i take it is ?90 for centre section and backbox & an extra ?95 for the 4branch?

Mark
15-09-03, 07:14 PM
This is Iain
http://www.motorsportdirect.co.uk/

brian
15-09-03, 07:32 PM
well i havent fitted mine yet but corsanova might be able to say whether its too loud for road use or not?
Presuming match wants it for a road car?

Mark
15-09-03, 07:37 PM
Did you go for twin box or single box Brian?

brian
15-09-03, 07:40 PM
twin! didn't know he does a single too

Mark
15-09-03, 07:55 PM
Mine's a twin, I was not sure if he did a single so I thought I had better ask - lol

The twin system is perfect, the rally car is well tuned, but has never failed the noise test before a rally, it seems to be an excellent balance between power and noise, we have actually driven to one event in the car when we had a lack of transport and it is loud, but not too loud. Just right for a road car I reakon, loud, but not over the top..

novashed
16-09-03, 04:01 PM
ive also got that exhaust from ian, although i chopped it up to have a centre exit with a twin slash 3.5" box, its well load but went through an MOT ok, pigs dont like it though

benji
16-09-03, 06:05 PM
i got a twin box ashley system for about the same price (less than 200 for system + manifold). it sounds good and is not too loud, but mine is a 1.4.

i got it from rally design

Ben
16-09-03, 06:36 PM
They will be too loud for me.

Mark
16-09-03, 06:38 PM
LOUD is good, I am still trying to get my car to sound like my Suzuki 1200 Bandit with Akrapovic Exhaust....Unfortunately unlikely!
:lol:

Stuart
16-09-03, 06:40 PM
ive been in a stripped 1.6 on carbs and it has an ashely system. its only loud when you boot it (and most of that noise was carbs lol)

apaprt from that its not much louder than my baffle blown std exhaust lol

match
16-09-03, 08:06 PM
yeah i am wanting the system for use on a road car, is it REALLY loud or bearable?

the car's got win 40's and a piper road/race cam in anyway at the moment so its fcukin loud when u rape the tits off it anyway! how sweet the sound of 40's is!

Mark
16-09-03, 08:11 PM
With that setup, it will be perfect, just bearable, about the same level as the 40's