PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 nova gte problems

Ryan305
28-07-14, 05:14 PM
hi everyone

I run a 1.6 8v gte engine in my corsa grasstrack car. if you start the car up it runs fine for about ten minutes, once it starts to get warm it wont idle properly and when you rev it their is a hesitation before it revs, also it sounds like it is running on three cylinders when racing. I have changed the plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm, air flow meter and cleaned the throttle body out, I am also going to try the coil and dizzy if I can get hold of one. I am just wondering if anyone has come across out like this before and could advise anything that could be wrong with it. any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Ryan

jimbob-mcgrew
31-07-14, 04:02 PM
could be overfueling due to the temp sensor ?

is the timing setup alright ?

mowgli
31-07-14, 08:11 PM
cts is a known problem.. fitting a fresh thermostat at the same time will hopefully solve that issue..

the idle control valve sounds like the biggest culprit here. it is located above the alternator & has 2 1/2" air pipes & a block connector with 2 wires... they regularly fail, causing the icv to open fully, this is like having the choke on.. people often turn the idle down on the ecu in an attempt to sort it. it means the car runs ok ish when cold, but when it gets warm it runs lean..

a quick way to test/sort it is to use a brake line clamp to shut off the icv, and then adjust the idle. it should make it better..

also, did you adjust the timing as per the Haynes book??? cos they forget to adjust for unleaded, so you should retard it a couple of degrees.

Andy
31-07-14, 08:15 PM
Use super unleaded to combat the retard.
You should be able to squeeze the icv pipes,and it should make a difference.
Also,do you have an egr still? A poorly sealed blank can cause bother too
Where do you race?

Ryan305
05-08-14, 05:05 PM
thanks for the advice everyone racing's finished until next year so its not urgent but I will try your suggestions, a few people have said about the temp sensor so I think ill try that first. I race up at Solway auto grass in Cumbria Andy.