PDA

View Full Version : throttle bodies and maf question XE

steve1434
26-07-14, 09:41 PM
Evening all. I have seen some gsxr throttle bodies that you can use existing injectors and map, but what would I need to do with the maf?

Cheers

Steve

steve1434
27-07-14, 02:29 PM
Anyone?

letvalva
27-07-14, 06:13 PM
Well I would guess that it would need a plenum made with a pipe to the maf/air mass metre. Like the dblias kits use

Will F
27-07-14, 07:24 PM
Nope, you can bin it, you won't be running an ecu, unless you go aftermarket

steve1434
27-07-14, 08:04 PM
I have heard both of those options - if I unplug the maf will the ecu cope and just run a default map for the injectors?

steve1434
27-07-14, 10:17 PM
Using a plenum is the most straight forward route and once that is fitted it would be easier to play around with standalone management, in that I could just go back to standard.

Where can I get a chamber made up though?

Will F
28-07-14, 10:33 AM
So are you going plenum route and keeping the Motronic management? (Waste of time)
I would either go old school and dizzy it and bin all management or go aftermarket

steve1434
28-07-14, 11:26 AM
I aim to go after market in the end mate. Will fit them with a plenum that I will be able to make from some parts I have, and then when I can find the kit needed to run them without the maf I can start giving that a go.

The bodies have tps on them so I am investigating what setup I need - any ideas Will? Megajolt?

Stuart
28-07-14, 01:07 PM
since they are TB's and not carbs, you will need fuelling control too, so megasquirt at a minimum. But look for old school DTA EXP48 and MBE97's etc

steve1434
28-07-14, 05:34 PM
Thanks Stuart, have looked a megsquirt and seems to fit the bill, also microsquirt units can do what I need, they are not too expensive either

Adam
28-07-14, 05:42 PM
Assuming you can find someone willing to have a go at mapping it

steve1434
28-07-14, 11:11 PM
Got a few maps already from identical spec engines to use as a start point (I know no two engines are actually identical) been trying to emulate real time on an R-Pi which I have prog'd to be an ecu - seems possible for 4 cyl applications but time will tell.....

Stuart
29-07-14, 08:11 AM
An rpi would be awful as an ecu as it's too lardy with overheads

steve1434
29-07-14, 10:09 AM
Hence the real-time issues mate, and its just because I have time tinker. There are adrino options also, there is always a way its just finding out how :)

Stuart
29-07-14, 10:20 AM
Just get a Freescale MCXXX processor and modify the source of measquirt ;)
tbh the code and processor is the failry easy bit, its the extra fun and games for signal conditioning and IGBT drivers etc that makes for the tricky part.
I've planned for many many many years to make a modded version of MS to suit how I'd want things done (having designed and written code/hardware for vehicle control and engine control for a career) but never worked out a tangible improvement over the stuff already available or even using an OBDII spec bosch ME7.x.x ecu and using the netmofos kit to recalibrate it so you get OEM code and your own calibration.

I'm not saying dont, I'm just syaing that you have to weigh up the pissing about vs the easy life. Sure 5-10 years ago it would have been well worth it but these days.... less so imho

steve1434
29-07-14, 07:01 PM
Interesting idea :) I don't necessarily want to make improvements on what's out there, but would rather not pay a few hundred quid on each application - would be good to have an ecu for a range of veh in a particular marque that is identical with different solid state r/o memory chips to suit that particular vehicle