PDA

View Full Version : harness fitment

Gazza14SR
13-09-03, 06:01 PM
tried to find the last topic about this but couldnt,

ive decided to move my harness location that is currently going to the seatbelt holder that is at the back of the boot. I was wondering if it is safe (and pass mot) to secure it to where the back seats slot in on the arch. Its got like the metal point bit on it where the backseats clip in place.

cheers

Ben
13-09-03, 07:14 PM
Best places to use are any of the seat belt anchor points.

eg: on the rear pillar where the runners bolt to or on the middle of the back seats where the clips bolt to, just remove them and the eyelets you got with the harness's will go straight on that thread.

Gazza14SR
13-09-03, 07:22 PM
thats where i did have them before i put my wooden floor in, my 6*9s are now over them slots, thats why i was wondering if itd be safe to put them where the back seats clip on to the metal pointy thing on the wheel arch

Ben
13-09-03, 07:26 PM
use the rear pillars.

between the rear quarter windows and the boot there is the pillar where the seat belts got fed through, use that hole there.

Ste_Nova
14-09-03, 11:38 AM
use the rear pillars.

between the rear quarter windows and the boot there is the pillar where the seat belts got fed through, use that hole there.

no don't cause thats fucking dangerrous in a rear end shunt.... car gets hit... belt goes slack.... hello windscreen

Ben
14-09-03, 11:46 AM
Well vauxhall seemed to think it was ok when they fitted the standard seat belts there, but of course you know better than there engineer's.

Ste_Nova
14-09-03, 11:59 AM
that factory location is for the rear belts... if u had harnesses in the rear would u feel safe with them attached to the bootlid?

Ste_Nova
14-09-03, 12:01 PM
but of course you know better than there engineer's.

i did stress, strain and loadbearing when i did my engineering degree... i'm shocked at some of the harness installs i see

Ste_Nova
14-09-03, 12:11 PM
see here in ians car where the harnesses are attached to the rear strut brace which is attached to the shockers!!! which are rubber dampered into the car and only have small threads! also with the belt pull point being below the fixing the bar will be twisted up and forwards breaking the tops off the shockers... this would then launch the strut brace at the rear of the seats :roll:

http://www.novaload.net/images/car_images/39big8.jpg

Stuart
14-09-03, 12:31 PM
the ideal angle for harnesses is 45degrees, any more level (ie mounting higher) will cause them to shap much easier, and steeper will cause excess strain on the mounting points.

but hey what would i know

locky
14-09-03, 04:16 PM
I'm gonna take out my lap belt in the rear 2 fix in my harnesses!

Mark
14-09-03, 04:22 PM
Best place for it...