PDA

View Full Version : Best route for a bit more power

tommy8252
15-07-14, 08:03 PM
Right then boys and girls, I'm looking at upping the power in my nova.

It's currently running an e16se with nvo62 cam, k&n panel filter and magnex exhaust system and arp rod bolts probably running 110-115 bhp (guesstimate)

Now I'm looking for more power with relatively little fuss and expense.

Looking to keep it smallblock so no xe/let conversion.

I'm leaning towards a c16xe/x16xe but also maybe further modifications on the current e16se.

So my question to all of you is simply what do you know about any of the above ie. Work involved, reasonable expectations from these setups, reliability preferably from people with first hand knowledge of these setups.

I used to run 121 bhp out of my old e16se with the same mods as above but I'm thinking there may have been some headwork done to achieve that so I know further modding is possible but after headwork I'd be looking at standalone management and quite high costs then.

So talk to me people :)

philip
16-07-14, 07:27 AM
Set of carbs or jenveys on current engine, larger cam, spring kit etc

Same with everything. Go cheap less reliable. Want reliable and it isnt cheap

_Tomiboy
16-07-14, 07:51 AM
I had all in my engine also, with modified head and valves, x18xe1 crank, z18xer rods and pistonst with 11.5:1 cr, and it did on the dyno 118hp on 5000 rpm. It was a good torque engine on the road.

tommy8252
16-07-14, 05:57 PM
Got a budget of around 6-700 quid.

As far as I know that would get me a set of 40s, an ast2 cam and maybe some headwork which should see me up to around 130ish at the wheels

Or

It would get me a c/x16xe setup with change for cams, better inlet and maybe some headwork to that too. No idea on even rough figures though.

Obviously it would be nice to get an engine built by an engine builder but for the amount of use it would get the costs aren't justified and as I'm a mechanic I can save a packet on labour costs by doing it myself.

chrisd1986
16-07-14, 07:36 PM
I'd go for the X16xe mate as it's a quick little engine with a powerbox and 4-1 manifold fitted and pulls like a train right upto the top end of the Rev range and that's on the f15 gearbox put your fly wheel and f13 on it and it would be a good combination

Southie
16-07-14, 07:50 PM
I've had several x16/C16xe engines, they're good engines with the powerbox added and decent manifold (I had the Mantzel) but tbh unless it's a low mileage one or you've rebuilt one yourself they can be temperamental with burning oil from the stem seals.
I ended up getting a full engine rebuild on my last C16xe with all genuine GM parts which cost me £900 fitted, piece of mind maybe and a bit dear (I'm no mechanic) but hell it was worth it in the end ;)

My my old build, some pictures might not work but it was fun when I had it... bar the problems lol
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?104970-Mk1-C16xe-project-daily-driver

philip
16-07-14, 09:46 PM
Depends who builds engine. As I will always build a head up with valves etc as if anything went wrong its on my head. Rather than say supply a ported head, doesnt get assembled properly but still get the blame.

C/x16 gets my vote. More power with simple mods and alot more power with a half decent budget at it.

tommy8252
18-07-14, 09:45 PM
Yep I think that's the way to go for now, simple mods to the x16xe for now with the scope for further tuning later on.

Time to start sourcing a decent engine/donor car then :)

craig green
18-07-14, 10:26 PM
I have to agree, having had a GSi myself with an E16SE, the C16XE I had in there for a while with a Mantzel powerbox & a BTB manifold & Schrick cams (allegedly), it did pull incredibly well IMO & was very loud LOL.
It did smoke like a trooper & turned out to have a cracked cam follower/bucket.