PDA

View Full Version : Retropower ?

bazil
01-07-14, 02:23 PM
Has anyone seen the quality of their work up close?

Novasport
01-07-14, 02:25 PM
Supposed to be good but very expensive. Usually have cars at Billing and they look well finished.

bazil
01-07-14, 02:27 PM
Ideal, will be having a good poke about at Billing lol,

Looking for quotes on getting the GTE done properly, the scale of it is beyond me in time, facilities and skill now :(

Novasport
01-07-14, 02:34 PM
You will need deep pockets! I spoke to a member on here a while back who had a quote from them, it was stupidly expensive!

bazil
01-07-14, 02:37 PM
Yup,, but then again I stand to loose thousands if I attempt it and f**k it up myself,

Im not looking for anyone to do a complete build, just bodywork and paint and I want it perfect.

rich a
01-07-14, 02:40 PM
I have spoken to callum and i am very impressed he sent somen pictured of cars they r working on very good attention to detail almost ocd . Now the the bad part the pric. To strip blast carry out metal work repair and prep an paint a nova shell 14k an that wasn't replacing or powdercoating anything you will need deep pockets. But i think u would have a show stopping car if u have the money

bazil
01-07-14, 02:49 PM
Well I have spent the best part of 17 years collecting and storing parts for the thing so I'll aim for the best,

I know id regret getting a second rate job done just to save a few quid,

I. Have spoken with a fair few bodyshops and none want to take this job on lol

rich a
01-07-14, 03:00 PM
I think they would tackle yours bazil lol i don't think you'll find better workmanship plus they do a monthly budget scheme ie u pay so much they do some more work each month give them a ring for a chat

Benn
01-07-14, 03:13 PM
I've seen their Mantas. The work i've seen is fantastic. Everything is done and done right.

Baz you've had bodyshops turn you away? What are you needing? You need a proper bodyshop, not a insurance swap a panel and paint it kinda place.

philip
01-07-14, 03:48 PM
Friend few mile away owns the orange chevette with the c20let in. I think that was 20ph at the time but they are maybe 25/30ph now. Also adams mini they built runs one of my engines and that looks awesome upfront too.

bazil
01-07-14, 03:51 PM
I think they would tackle yours bazil lol i don't think you'll find better workmanship plus they do a monthly budget scheme ie u pay so much they do some more work each month give them a ring for a chat

I have to sort out photos of whar needs doind and what I have to go on, I suppose the bonus is its not a case of them fabricating everything as I have pretty much a shell in pre assembled form lol

I've seen their Mantas. The work i've seen is fantastic. Everything is done and done right.

Baz you've had bodyshops turn you away? What are you needing? You need a proper bodyshop, not a insurance swap a panel and paint it kinda place.

Benn I went to a few places and once I started talking I could see them step back lol,, most didn't even want to give me a price, just due to the scale of it, its practically bulding a new shell around the floor number lol

bazil
01-07-14, 03:52 PM
Friend few mile away owns the orange chevette with the c20let in. I think that was 20ph at the time but they are maybe 25/30ph now. Also adams mini they built runs one of my engines and that looks awesome upfront too.

Callum says the price would be based on their £30/hour rate, so sounds about right, probably 500 hours in it tho lol

rich a
01-07-14, 04:45 PM
£30 plus Vat it tells u something when my quote included 7k for prep an paint of the shell if i recall 200 hours worth of work. Like i said you'll pay for the quality

bazzap8389
01-07-14, 05:46 PM
I had this problem as well when trying to find somewhere, I had a place that said they'll do it and give me a call back never got that call, then phoned them up and they said they were too busy to take it on!

philip
01-07-14, 05:52 PM
Another mate who had front page feature with his red gsi in tv a few months back had a lad behind me paint the car. That was stunning and about 3k too do. Id say try him. Does a lot of vintage/classic cars and v.v.good painter/body man. Also another lad near me whos paintwork inside a car is far better than the outside moat cars are. I can get you details for either if wanted.

Benn
01-07-14, 06:13 PM
£30 an hour? That's bloody cheap!

Baz, sounds like you need to look better. My bodyshop do ALOT of VW campers, one as the mo is having a full roof, 4 main pillars, both rear corners/quarter panels, half side panels, full front panel, all 3 doors, both steps, half the main floor and the panels around the rear lights that you can't buy so the metal guy is making them front scratch by hand.

bazil
01-07-14, 06:26 PM
The problem for me benn is that there isnt such a demand up here for that sort of work so the places to do it are thin on the ground and booked out well in advance if I find one.

Basically im looking at

Full front panel
Both front chassis legs
Both front inner wings
Both front outer wings
Both front A posts
Bulkhead
Battery tray
A post supports both sides
Both doors
Outer sills
Probably inner sills
Full rear floor
Rear panel
Both rear legs
Both rear 1/4's
Tailgate
Full roof
Both rear wheel housings

So basically pretty much everything lol

The only parts I dont have yet is inner sills and roof,
I couldn't buy a new shell so bought as much of one as I could.

Benn
01-07-14, 06:28 PM
Christ that's alot on a Nova... Think i'd look for a mint shell..lol

Sounds sh*te up your way sadly...

Mike
01-07-14, 06:44 PM
From all accounts they do top notch work but cost the earth.... they were advertising not so long ago for staff as I applied myself & got into the final few applicants.

Try Brookfields Classics which is also in Hinckley, they not far from RP & do similar thing (mostly E Type & classic Rolls restorations though)

http://www.brookfield-classics.co.uk/

bazil
01-07-14, 06:47 PM
Yup,, far easier looking for a reshell but im not going down that road, finding a genuine GTE shell in minted out its nut condition wouldn't be easy

bazil
01-07-14, 06:50 PM
Thanks mike and phillip,

Once I have all the relevant pictures and details of work required I can start contacting other possible companies or people, rather than approach people with the line I gave retropower " hiya, can you rebuild my nova please lol "

MARTIN KELSON
01-07-14, 07:08 PM
Did 'Peester' from here (Dave) not have work done there?
May be worth finding him on here & dropping him a PM

peester
01-07-14, 07:17 PM
I did Mart but not bodywork restoration. They were quite a lot smaller business/less staff etc back then (2011 I think..) they've changed rather a lot over the last year or two.
It is a pay top dollar get top work place though. Like all those U.S car build shops you see on discovery channels. Exciting place to be; always have at least one or two cars from my dream garage whenever I visit..
You can spread payments over time they have the car if that helps? They aren't afraid to go ahead and make improvements over standard/original design.. They do keep you posted regularly throughout the build..
A build such as the one mentioned would get its own build thread made by the guys an' all.

MARTIN KELSON
01-07-14, 07:22 PM
Glad my memory still serves me correct Dave for an old boy!!
you at Billing in few weeks? Not seen Nova in ages.

Johnny A
01-07-14, 08:21 PM
In my experience the old saying 'you get what you pay for' ring loud and clearly here.

Anal OCD levels of attention to detail is what I put into my cars (as far as engineering goes - cos' I can't paint for ****), I have often thought to myself how many man-hours it has taken to build my previous and current project, just imagine how much that would cost to have it done by a company - Hence Retropower's prices.

Fabrication is by far the most time consuming part of any build.

mowgli
01-07-14, 11:49 PM
they are about a mile from me. I've never been to their place because of some argument my brother had with the owner of the place about 20 years ago, but I've never heard of any problems with them. I know of a couple of other places that might do the work, but this is proper restoration stuff, not bodyshop stuff. surely there is someone nearer to you that can help.

peester
02-07-14, 04:57 AM
Glad my memory still serves me correct Dave for an old boy!!
you at Billing in few weeks? Not seen Nova in ages.

Yes mate ill be there.

Nobby
02-07-14, 11:26 AM
I went there the other week Nathaniel and Callum are top blokes know their **** and there work is awesome but the same as anything in that custom world get your wallet out!

dgbnova#1
02-07-14, 11:48 AM
If it was me I would look through classic car listing look for the Healy jag resto company's there no one more anal than that lot you need an old school fabricator to keep costs down and quality up I went to drop some Panels off for Devonskippy on here were his sr was being done they were doing a good job on his plus an etype next to it looked spot on and lad was fabricating bits that were missing by hand I know that's not a problem here but they had skills no idea on price though
full roof is not expensive ether

Mike
02-07-14, 11:56 AM
The problem for me benn is that there isnt such a demand up here for that sort of work so the places to do it are thin on the ground and booked out well in advance if I find one.

Basically im looking at

Full front panel
Both front chassis legs
Both front inner wings
Both front outer wings
Both front A posts
Bulkhead
Battery tray
A post supports both sides
Both doors
Outer sills
Probably inner sills
Full rear floor
Rear panel
Both rear legs
Both rear 1/4's
Tailgate
Full roof
Both rear wheel housings

So basically pretty much everything lol

The only parts I dont have yet is inner sills and roof,
I couldn't buy a new shell so bought as much of one as I could.

TBF sentimental value or not.... to have that lot done to an existing shell is gonna require some serious jig time which aint cheap.... unless your willing to part with ITRO of £4~5k++ & circa £2k for a respray Id seriously be looking at getting a new shell.

The guys that I know who deal in this kinda work have money no object customers who'll easily spend £15k having E Types done... I think you seriously need to weight up pros & cons with a project like this if Im totally honest with you....

turbodrew1
02-07-14, 08:58 PM
Bazil, get in touch with big chap on here, I'm sure you know him. The guy that done all of his bodywork when he restored J222 is really good, he works at the local nationwide round from us in Dunfermline. His names Rab, done a smashing job of bc's. He's always restoring old alfas and has a lancia delta evo. Ken's his onions if you know what I mean.

He's from the Stirling area and done all big chaps resto up behind dunblane, so it's pretty local if he were up to the task

Benn
03-07-14, 09:48 AM
TBF sentimental value or not.... to have that lot done to an existing shell is gonna require some serious jig time which aint cheap.... unless your willing to part with ITRO of £4~5k++ & circa £2k for a respray Id seriously be looking at getting a new shell.

The guys that I know who deal in this kinda work have money no object customers who'll easily spend £15k having E Types done... I think you seriously need to weight up pros & cons with a project like this if Im totally honest with you....

Sadly that is what i meant too, hell of alot of work on a Nova. When there are still mint base model shell out there..
With the money you'll spend doing the work, you could buy a shell and build a mega car up....

bazil
03-07-14, 10:09 AM
Cheers Drew, I'll try and catch BC at billing.

Benn and Mike I get your point but I tend to look at things from a different angle.

Take my S3, it cost me 21 grand in 2004, its cost me a few grand in the 10 years of ownership and now its worth maybe 3k ?
So basically the best part of 20 grand lost in 10 years.

I might spend 10 - 15 grand on the nova but I want to keep it for the next 20-30 years its a keeper.
My view is pay top dollar for a top job and never look back.

If I was planning on getting shot of the car then this sort of build would be stupid but im wanting a top notch standard GTE,

Benn
03-07-14, 10:11 AM
That's fair enough.

dgbnova#1
03-07-14, 12:30 PM
I can see your point mate do get were your comeing from but must agree it's a lot of money on a shell I have a resto to do to keep but will be doing it myself as just only cost effective way I can

Alex J
03-07-14, 02:10 PM
Get a mint shell and swap the i.d lol

bazil
03-07-14, 02:11 PM
I would love to do this myself but due to the fact I dont have access to a jig I know it would never turn out right,
I maý be daft for doing this build but im not stupid enough to attempt what I know I cant achieve.
Im planing on laying all the parts out and taking a few pictures as it'll be pretty awesome to see a nova in kit form lol

bazil
03-07-14, 02:12 PM
Get a mint shell and swap the i.d lol

Naa thats been done, time for a different trick lol

dgbnova#1
03-07-14, 02:15 PM
I'm going to build my own jig it's only a level platform with cill and mounting points from what I've seen but I do see your point

bazil
03-07-14, 02:19 PM
Yeah the jig itself is nothing but the measuring devices are where all the money is, id rather have as minimum tolerance as possible when renewing so many structural panels,