PDA

View Full Version : Coolant hose c20xe

Scottcooper85
21-06-14, 10:47 PM
Finally got around to the engine bay of the nova so I've been having a poke about and seeing what I'm going to do with it all and I notice the coolant hose that comes out the head near the alternator has been blanked. I know it's meant to run to a tee to the expansion return via the inlet.

But.., do I need it? What will it affect being blanked? And do I need to go via the inlet or can i just go from head straight to expansion bottle return?

cheers scott

Steve_1991
23-06-14, 05:31 PM
I heard it pressures the head and can cause head gasket failure, I ran mine around the block behind inlet into t peice at expansion tank, never had any probs in a year.

Scottcooper85
23-06-14, 08:32 PM
I think that's what I'm going to do I think it had a head gasket failure not long before I got it so maybe that's why. Thanks for the reply I'm definatly going to run it around now.

blue_peg_16v
23-06-14, 10:05 PM
I never ran it on my xes on carbs never had an issue and they got abuse

i run it on the let though but will be blanked again when I do the sr fewer pipes to hide lol

Steve_1991
23-06-14, 11:01 PM
For what's it worth I think it's worth doing for peace of mind in my opinion, but some don't as they prefer a cleaner looking bay etc or think it won't do any damage. I'll be doing it on my XE turbo / let when it goes in next month.

Scottcooper85
24-06-14, 11:23 AM
Would fitting a corsa c expansion bottle have any effect on the system anyone? It's smaller but has 2 top outlets so perfect to use with 2 return pipes.

Johnny A
24-06-14, 11:32 AM
By blocking it off the head will overheat in that corner - hence head gasket failure. Mine is tee'd off on the coolant pipe that comes out of the heater matrix and into the plastic conduit that bolts to the back of the block.

Would fitting a corsa c expansion bottle have any effect on the system anyone? It's smaller but has 2 top outlets so perfect to use with 2 return pipes.

No that will be fine

Scottcooper85
24-06-14, 12:55 PM
Sound cheers, it will be better smaller tbh as it's going into the scuttle void hopefully