PDA

View Full Version : Fixing rattles ideas?

steve1434
19-06-14, 08:49 PM
Hi all

I want to try and reduce the rattles as much as possible, even with car totally empty of crap there are many, mainly dashboard and everything behind the rear seats.

I have a load of sticky foam tape like stuff, bout an inch wide and 5mm of cushion - I was thinking of removing most of the trim and dash and sticking it in offending areas etc.

Anyone tried this or know best place to start? I know you expect rattles from a 22 year old car, but currently have the time and motivation :thumb:

Cheers

conza123
19-06-14, 08:50 PM
Ha ha ha turn the stereo up u won't shut them all up lol,

my handbrake cable touches the axle and exhaust and I just live with it lol

steve1434
19-06-14, 09:09 PM
Haha that would mean upgrading the speakers first lol

Benn
20-06-14, 08:34 AM
When i bought my car, the owner before had put blutac everywhere. Didn't rattle... But where was bluetac frigging everywhere!

kevw
20-06-14, 12:58 PM
So that's why you chose blue then Ben!

Stuart
20-06-14, 02:32 PM
@Benn he loves the smurf poo

Alex J
20-06-14, 03:37 PM
Even if you strip a nova out, burn everything and have two bucket seats that still bloody rattle lol

craig green
20-06-14, 04:28 PM
Roll cage stops a lot of rattles, failing that isolate offending parts of trim with foam & replace as many GM clips with new ones from a dealer.

Andy
20-06-14, 06:32 PM
my grasser is stripped bare,and I mean bare and I still have rattles.So I rev harder lol
limiter loving ftw

Benn
20-06-14, 07:24 PM
So that's why you chose blue then Ben!

Haha not quite, but close...

@Benn he loves the smurf poo

Took months to get rid of it all...

Jeff16v
20-06-14, 08:24 PM
the owners rattle as much as the poxy build quality, :-)

Andy
20-06-14, 08:44 PM
Temazepam is a good fix for that carry on.

pottersrebel
20-06-14, 09:30 PM
good job I don't car about rattles in my stockcar that thing shakes the teeth out of you on tickover (solid engine mounts and one solid chassis)

Southie
20-06-14, 10:10 PM
The more you strip a car the nosier it will get, maybe try some dynomat for the floors and doors to hide road noise.

steve1434
21-06-14, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the comments guys - road noise is not that bad really so will focus on dash and rear trim. I will do a before and after sound rec to see if it actually works or is just in my head lol

jimbob-mcgrew
24-06-14, 11:43 PM
in the cockpit, its usually the squeak of plastic on plastic vibrating against itself. the dash is the main offender id say.

you could try using that foam tape padding youve got (all round the edge of the dash panel, where it sits against the body, and anything around the glovebox/clocks/speaker panels/heater controls/surrounding area's) ... and anywhere else you think noise is coming from.

with a nova and its lack of everything, (sound deadining included)... you can expect a bit of extra road noise, and engine/exhaust volume. which is fine. but its those little rattles and squeaks etc that shouldnt be there, that do my head in aswell

for general road noise, seperate to the rattles and squeeks, you could try dynamatting the bits they didnt do at the factory, like the rear arches, and at the frontside, behind the dash ? ... some nova's didnt have any under the rear seats/boot floor too.