PDA

View Full Version : Unleaded fuel

Jonesfach
18-06-14, 12:50 PM
Many moons ago when I was still running round in my 1.3 sport I was able to get that lead replacement stuff....yes I know it's a while! Perhaps that LRP is the stuff that has rotted my tank to bits?

At the time. Their were a lot of peeps in the media and such like saying that you will have to get your valve seats on the exhaust valves renewed. :cry:

However, since then I have read many forums on older vehicles and a lot of them say their cars are fine on unleaded.

PI just wandered everyone's thoughts on this please?

For my mind if I go for the super unleaded stuff that has a higher octane I will be fine.

cheers

Novasport
18-06-14, 01:57 PM
Normal unleaded is fine on the OHC engines, the timing just needs altering. I think you need to advance it three degrees IIRC.
More of an issue is the current unleaded fuel as they contain a small percentage of alcohol. There are various write ups and opinions on what it does to rubber hoses, aluminium and brass as used in carbs etc.

Jonesfach
18-06-14, 10:32 PM
Normal unleaded is fine on the OHC engines, the timing just needs altering. I think you need to advance it three degrees IIRC.
More of an issue is the current unleaded fuel as they contain a small percentage of alcohol. There are various write ups and opinions on what it does to rubber hoses, aluminium and brass as used in carbs etc.

Thanks for replying. So the currently available unleaded has changed recently?

I am surprised you are not using the super type unleaded. Would have thought it is the right stuff to use not that I intend driving like a boy racer. Lol! Those days are well gone.

Southie
18-06-14, 10:35 PM
They've not gone your just resting lol

Is it worth these days still getting fuel additive though maybe (aimed at Rich).

Novasport
18-06-14, 11:08 PM
I run the Sport & Spider on super. The Swing & SR just run on normal unleaded.

Novasport
18-06-14, 11:11 PM
More info about Ethanol in fuel...

http://www.groups.tr-register.co.uk/wessex/ethanol-update.html

Southie
18-06-14, 11:18 PM
More info about Ethanol in fuel...

http://www.groups.tr-register.co.uk/wessex/ethanol-update.html
Is this down to people now thinking diesel is now better and cleaner lol

Stuart
18-06-14, 11:19 PM
Many of the supers these days are made with alcohol too...

you need to hit more than 5% for it to cause problems and legally normal unleaded can only contain upto 5% alcohol.

Jonesfach
19-06-14, 09:56 AM
I run the Sport & Spider on super. The Swing & SR just run on normal unleaded.
So running on super you have still advanced the timing slightly?
thanks for the debate.

conza123
19-06-14, 10:47 AM
im running my sr on shell nitro+ stuff

its runs alot better better mpg and goes better :)

same with liams x16xe nova runs drives better and better mpg on it

and you get double shell points using he nitro stuff that costs me about £3 than normal unleaded to fill the nova up

Jonesfach
19-06-14, 01:14 PM
im running my sr on shell nitro+ stuff

its runs alot better better mpg and goes better :)

same with liams x16xe nova runs drives better and better mpg on it

and you get double shell points using he nitro stuff that costs me about £3 than normal unleaded to fill the nova up

Is that an additive you buy and put a certain amount in? Sorry been off the road a while and have lost touch with this kind of thing?
running around in bog standard corsas for a while ....it's just a trip to the nearest supermarket etc...

ok been on the website ...it comes straight out of the pump!

never heard of it before!

that seems to be the stuff I need.

Thanks for all the comments

Stuart
19-06-14, 01:20 PM
nitro+ is just shells new "optimax/vpower" branding iirc.

I'd be willing to bet that your engine will be 100% fine using bog standard unleaded.
People get far too hung up on fuel for many wrong reasons.

conza123
19-06-14, 01:59 PM
Is that an additive you buy and put a certain amount in? Sorry been off the road a while and have lost touch with this kind of thing?
running around in bog standard corsas for a while ....it's just a trip to the nearest supermarket etc...

ok been on the website ...it comes straight out of the pump!

never heard of it before!

that seems to be the stuff I need.

Thanks for all the comments
As Stuart said it straight out of the pump, mines and liams cars seem to run better on it and u dont really notice extra cost when filling up

Andy
19-06-14, 08:49 PM
2014 eh hahaha

Jonesfach
19-06-14, 11:10 PM
Is nothing like 1992 bud when I first bought the beast! Lol!

Southie
19-06-14, 11:13 PM
Redex FTW

garyc
20-06-14, 08:02 PM
You retard the ignition not advance it when running unleaded. The lead boosts the octane value so you can run more advance.

Johnny A
20-06-14, 08:30 PM
I have 25 litres of pure methanol in the garage, ideas ideas!

Southie
20-06-14, 08:41 PM
I have 25 litres of pure methanol in the garage, ideas ideas!
The first nova to land on the moon lol

meritlover
23-06-14, 11:48 AM
The first nova to land on the moon lol

or just another poor running nova to end up with a rotten fuel tank and leaking fuel lines.