PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Removal Epic Fail !

J398SUR
17-06-14, 02:27 PM
Pulley Broke ... Hook Bit stuck in steering wheel Base ... Thus give me a continuos Horn ... And I still can't take off the bloody wheel ... Any tips with out bending or cutting the wheel off !

Scottcooper85
17-06-14, 02:52 PM
Try backing the nut to the top of the column and hitting it as hard as you dare with a hammer and piece of bar whilst someone pulls on the wheel.

Andy
17-06-14, 03:04 PM
That what scott said,plus use a proper release spray like debloc or Halfords shock and unlock.

88ESR
17-06-14, 03:12 PM
Of course you risk collapsing the column if you hit it too hard....

Iain
17-06-14, 03:37 PM
Remove the column and put the steering wheel between 2 wheelie bins then hit the column down between them

dgbnova#1
17-06-14, 03:49 PM
If it's in the car and with seat in sit so your upper legs are tight to the back of the wheel so trying to push it off back the nut off to the top so it's near flush if not over the top a little ( to protect the thread)

Get a 19 mm socket and 1/2" extension and put the socket on backwards so giving you a good flat area put the socket on top of the nut and the biggest hammer you can manage push back with your legs (to stop it collapsing) and good hard hits don't pussy out single heavy hits not loads of little ones never ever fails for me but you got to push hard or you will be after a new colum

scott.parker
17-06-14, 04:25 PM
All attempts must be with the nut left on flush so no column /spline damage occurs..
Loads of fluid for unlocking thigs, soak it, leave overnight, then get a small portable blow torch heat the middle of the spine up, pull, or put pressure on the back of the wheel and tap the ceter of the nut/column with a socket bar extension, if it doesn't come off that attempt just repeat it the next day, eventually it will come off from heat and shrink process.

J398SUR
17-06-14, 04:53 PM
Thanks Gents ... Iv just dropped £15 on a proper Vauxhall removal tool from the Tool Academy ... Don't fancy playing with fire next to my mint seats ...

Jack
17-06-14, 06:44 PM
You can pull the fuse out to stop the horn temporarily. Its in the fuse box, shared with the wipers iirc.

J398SUR
17-06-14, 06:53 PM
You can pull the fuse out to stop the horn temporarily. Its in the fuse box, shared with the wipers iirc.

Lol ... I did ... Kids started chasing me thinking I was selling Ice Creams !!

mowgli
17-06-14, 07:50 PM
proper pullers every time.

oh and read my posts on THIS (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?114852-*HOW-TO*-Remove-a-gm-steering-wheel-properly)

bazil
17-06-14, 07:54 PM
Batter living fcuk out of it for its insubordination,

It'll probably be damaged beyond repair but it feels good at the time lol

J398SUR
17-06-14, 08:03 PM
proper pullers every time.

oh and read my posts on THIS (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?114852-*HOW-TO*-Remove-a-gm-steering-wheel-properly)

Thats the one I got ... Thanks for the link mate !

dgbnova#1
17-06-14, 08:11 PM
Batter living fcuk out of it for its insubordination,

It'll probably be damaged beyond repair but it feels good at the time lol

That's the Scott way lol

scott.parker
17-06-14, 09:18 PM
That's the Scott way lol

I presume you mean scot as in Scotland , not me lol

gary_126
17-06-14, 10:03 PM
i had that laser puller and it didnt fit a std sri/gsi wheel, wasnt deep enough. As said, sit in the seat, nut on a few threads, then use both hands to "slap" the back of the wheel, colapsing the column isnt an issue, as i see your changing it.

Failing that, remove the coloumn with the wheel attached, and sort it when you can use a vice ect.

J398SUR
17-06-14, 10:13 PM
Nightmare !

mowgli
17-06-14, 10:23 PM
I've never had any bother with swapping any gm steering wheels with the laser puller... but as my how to article states, there are other ways of helping the puller get the wheel off.... the one involving a kettle & a bath towel, daft as it sounds, has helped me on more than one occasion

Andy
17-06-14, 10:40 PM
be sure to piss all over it once its eventually off

marc69
17-06-14, 11:01 PM
Also spend time pullin g it at different angles, it will just pop at some unexpected moment ages after you should have given up. I had one once that seriously hacked me off, I left it sitting with the nut loose and thought...I'll effing smash that to bits tomorrow. It was off by itself in the morning!

Scottcooper85
18-06-14, 06:02 AM
I presume you mean scot as in Scotland , not me lol

Maybe it's all of us, let's form an angry mob lol

J398SUR
18-06-14, 07:55 AM
be sure to piss all over it once its eventually off

I'm going to burn it then run over it in my Rangie ... In the 2 years of my Nova ownership this is by far the hardest component to change ... The Rack was a piece of piss !!!!!

J398SUR
19-06-14, 02:17 PM
i had that laser puller and it didnt fit a std sri/gsi wheel, wasnt deep enough. As said, sit in the seat, nut on a few threads, then use both hands to "slap" the back of the wheel, colapsing the column isnt an issue, as i see your changing it.

Failing that, remove the coloumn with the wheel attached, and sort it when you can use a vice ect.

just got my a laser in the post ... Worked fine only tock one go to come off ... Happy Days !!!

Alex J
19-06-14, 04:58 PM
A hammer has NEVER failed me on this task!