PDA

View Full Version : Nova rear discs yes or no?

Squeakyd
17-06-14, 10:58 AM
I'm debating wether to put rear discs on the nova or just leave it with drums? Can I have some good recommendations pls

Iain
17-06-14, 11:07 AM
What's your reasoning for fitting discs? Looks? Better braking? Easier servicing? Pub speclist?

Squeakyd
17-06-14, 11:10 AM
I thought they will give me better brake performance? I don't know? Coz It needs new rear brakes and I can either buy new shoes n cylinders or try find a rear axle with discs on!

Benn
17-06-14, 12:05 PM
I dont think think they give better performance at all. Drums are better for braking. But discs look good.

Stuart
17-06-14, 12:23 PM
discs for 'looks'
Drums for an easy life

One thing that light fwd cars do not need is more rear braking. Unless you have set the car up to need it, in which case the drums would still be fine, just take out the restrictors.

jeremy fisher
17-06-14, 12:24 PM
So other than needing to replace the existing brakes anyway you have no reason? You haven't felt like you are lacking rear braking?I've always used drums, never fancied discs. I think drums that are set up well offer enough braking for the rear of a nova which weighs next to nothing, plus weight transfers to the front under braking anyway so not a lot of friction to play with on the rear tyres. Mate of mine used to run discs on the rear and had locking up issues, don't know if that's a common problem though.

Squeakyd
17-06-14, 12:27 PM
I'll think i will stick with drums then thanks

tommy8252
17-06-14, 06:59 PM
I love the look of my discs but the braking force of them is less than drums.

dgbnova#1
17-06-14, 07:30 PM
So why do cars run disks on the rear then just ease of changing ? Because there better with the heat? There more effective ?
I've ran both on many cars on my fast cars I always prefer the disks setup but Ive not been on track etc so cannot comment on that side of thing think driveing style Also plays a part I

mowgli
17-06-14, 07:47 PM
So why do cars run disks on the rear then just ease of changing ? Because there better with the heat? There more effective ?

simply because they look cooler & the marketing dept specified them, like loads of other irrelevant things that are fitted to cars

Stuart
17-06-14, 09:54 PM
Discs are technically lower maintenance than drums. Marketing don't design cars, they might try to cost engineer but they don't have any real say in most cases.

mowgli
17-06-14, 10:21 PM
stu, I agree with your comment about them being technically lower maintenance, but in practice, some are absolute sods to wind back the pistons to fit new pads

Andy
17-06-14, 10:39 PM
and some don't tell you the pistons have to be in a certain position once wound in....

AndrewC
18-06-14, 12:47 AM
It seems discs are the choice in the rally world. The Nova Competition Build Guide describes the disc set up with adjustable brake balance. Assume the development in competition confirmed benefit.??bloody hope it works anyway as that's that the way I've gone but not driving it yet

Iain
18-06-14, 08:26 AM
I hate working with drums they're a pain, I'd much rather replace discs and pads, so far I don't regret fitting rear discs at all.

Benn
18-06-14, 08:40 AM
stu, I agree with your comment about them being technically lower maintenance, but in practice, some are absolute sods to wind back the pistons to fit new pads

True but not all pistons have to be wound back, when you can just gently squeeze then back they are so easy to work ok.

Stuart
18-06-14, 09:23 AM
It seems discs are the choice in the rally world. The Nova Competition Build Guide describes the disc set up with adjustable brake balance. Assume the development in competition confirmed benefit.??bloody hope it works anyway as that's that the way I've gone but not driving it yet

I believe mostly the disc setup on the rally cars was to give a much better handbrake, and as such they had to then make the adjustable balance lark work etc.

Steve_1991
23-06-14, 11:09 PM
Don't u have to fit a bias valve? To avoid rear brakes locking up? Thought about it myself in the past, but decent set of drums do the job just as good, and as I'm using Cav slabs they are well hidden.

Benn
26-06-14, 09:08 AM
I haven't ^ and it's never locked up....