PDA

View Full Version : Idle Control Valve

Aamir
12-09-03, 04:12 PM
I've been told to check my idle control valve
because my car keeps stalling when revved high
& allowed come down to idle.

Can someone point out where it is, pic if poss.

Many Thanks

Chip_RB
12-09-03, 05:15 PM
What engine is it?

If its an XE you will find it behind the block and roughly central, its got a pipe going from it to the SFi box, so just follow that down and it should be easy to spot, it has a single electrical plug connected to it.

Take it off, soak it in carb cleaner, blow it out with an air gun (or ever just by blowing on it if you dont have an air gun) and refit.

Chip

steve-o
13-09-03, 01:02 AM
im having probs with my idle control valve, replaced it but it still revs on its own :S have had to put a jubilee clip- on the pipe to stop it reving :S

any ideas??

jim sri
13-09-03, 11:25 AM
take the pipes off from the icv and clean them with degreaser/carb cleaner and check them all for splits/air leaks while you're at it. air leaks can cause erratic idling. also try cleaning the icv with carb/cleaner or petrol (inside) and once dry, re-oil it with a teaspoon full of engine oil or similar

Funkdocta
14-09-03, 10:20 AM
Different engine but should be the same in consept, my GTE was doing exactly the same thing, PI$$ED ME OFF in traffic jams! It would have a mind of it's own and rev up to about 2-3k rpm and the then sometimes be fine a other times stall.
I found it was the small black box on the air inlet pipe on the mainfold after the air filter were throttle mechanism is but the otherside. It's held on by two small philips screws, I lossened them and this allows you to twist the box. Just twist the box (engine off so u can hear) left or right untill u hear it click inside, just after it clicks do up one of the screws and try pressing the throttle open. You should hear the click when u press the throttle and then the same click when u shut the throttle off. Do up the screws and give it a try.

Aamir
15-09-03, 09:14 AM
The car is a 'K' plate Nova GSi,
now that I know what to do with it, just gotta find it.

Thanks Guys !