PDA

View Full Version : bottom end and main bearing replacement

novashed
12-09-03, 03:32 PM
hi guys,

when replacing the above does the crank have to be machined to match or polished etc, the ones in the 1600 block are ok as i can see but i want to make it as near new as possible and ive also mixed the bearings up now, so no chance of getting the right ones back where they should be!!

any help appreciated

MC
12-09-03, 03:50 PM
Depends how bad your crank is, but I'd always recomend a re-grind with new bearings.

MC

rysmee
12-09-03, 08:05 PM
so if you grind the crank, do you have to get specific undersized bearings to match or what?

novashed
15-09-03, 08:55 AM
i think thats the jist of things, wot sort of price am i lookin at for that, in fact if its going to be done i might aswell get the whole bottom end rebuilt, im gonna put new piston rings in anyway and ARP bolts, ive got big plans i hope TB's and a wild cam etc

Ste_Nova
15-09-03, 09:24 AM
don't skimp on the rebuild if u gonna run big power

mowgli
15-09-03, 09:37 PM
Ring round several recon shops to get a good price, & if you have any mates in the garage trade, ask them. there can be a huge variation in price, but get the best bearings you can afford.

Slatter
15-09-03, 10:14 PM
when i built my engine it only cost about 10 quid more for pistons and rings rather than just rings .... and they were + 1mm ones aswell ! so likes been said see whats on offer

novashed
16-09-03, 03:55 PM
cheers chaps :)