PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding Brakes with ABS, Astra H

jeremy fisher
14-06-14, 04:44 PM
I may need to replace a hard brake line on my mums Astra H due to the fitting not spinning on the pipe and twisting it as I'm trying to undo it (trying to do flexi line but tightened it back up to do another day due to time restraints). I have been told by friends that you can't let the ABS system loose fluid or you need a dealer tool to bleed fluid through it again. I have read up on this and it seems that they are half right, but as long as the ABS doesn't kick in whilst there is a lack of fluid (which it shouldn't!)in the system then it can just be topped back up again and bled as normal, but there is some variation between different ABS systems. Can anyone confirm this? Or does anyone have a nifty trick for freeing up brake fittings?
Thanks!

conza123
14-06-14, 04:51 PM
To undo the pipe, just wire brush the **** out of it and spray loads of penetrating oil on it, even use a heat gun to try and get it to free off, ending all that new brake pipe :(, and never had a problem letting fluid run low just if it gets that low bleed all 4 corners to be safe

jeremy fisher
15-06-14, 12:17 PM
Ok, thanks, I'll see what I can do.

jeremy fisher
16-06-14, 12:43 PM
Had to change whole pipe, wasn't fun! Sorted now though and no issues with ABS.

Stuart
16-06-14, 03:53 PM
basically, so long as the ABS unit isnt new or completely drained, you will be fine when bleeding an ABS fitted car, even if you drain down a pair of calipers worth.