PDA

View Full Version : Nova c20let charging problem

joey17
02-06-14, 10:56 AM
Only a week till Pvs and my car decided to not charge yesterday morning, drove it fine the day before. I drove it for 10 mins down the road and the battery light on the digi dash jut started dropping, I have checked the obvious inc belt and wires to alternator, if I put te jump leads from another car onto my car the battery will charge which to me says the alternator is goosed. I tried a second hand alternator on an that didn't fix the problem either so today I've ordered a brand new one from a local supplier but that won't be here until tomorow, so I'm running out of time, is there anything else it could be apart from the alternator just incase it isn't that? I haven't tried a voltmeter on it yet because it's at work in my toolbox. I just wonder if there's any relays or connections that could be broken. I have used my test lamp to check earths to engine and body, I've also checked the wires to the alternator with my test lamp and there ok aswell. Any help will be repayed with a few drinks at the weekend haha cheers

bazzap8389
02-06-14, 12:48 PM
I was having similar problems recently, wasn't a nova though and turned out it was my alternator that was the problem. So fingers crossed that solves yours.

dgbnova#1
02-06-14, 12:54 PM
I tAke it you have checked all The earths are clean and good connection?

Nobby
02-06-14, 01:04 PM
first thing i would of done was check the voltage with and without load. Your pissing in the wind otherwise.

joey17
02-06-14, 01:09 PM
Cheers for the reply lads, my multimeter hasn't been availabe to me, and really wouldn't tell me anymore than I already know, once jump leads from another car are attached the car runs and charges the battery as it should so it is charging from the other car on the digi dash. it does exactly the same with the 2 batteries I have used which I know are good batteries because they charge on my mates nova which also has a digi dash only once the jump leads are disconnected does the battery light come on on the dash. I'm positive it's the alternator as I could have damaged it as I've been jump starting the car because it has been off the road up until a month ago

brucer
02-06-14, 06:46 PM
you need the multimeter, check for voltage at the alternator and battery to see if its putting any out put out. if it is at the alternator and not the battery then trace the wires to the fault.

you do have the little wire connected aswell?

Nobby
04-06-14, 03:01 PM
how could the multimeter not tell you anything more lol can u read voltages in your head? As said check what you have with n without load n go from there!