PDA

View Full Version : 15's with 280 disks?

dan16v
11-09-03, 08:14 PM
hopefully getting some 15s, need to know if my willwood 280mm disks will fit? iirr brett is running the same wheels ill have and disk set up?
dan

CP
11-09-03, 08:50 PM
280 discs and wilwood 4 pot calipers will go under 15's cos mine do

corsa gt
11-09-03, 10:57 PM
I used Calibra Turbo brakes (284x24mm an Ate calipers). Steel wheels did not fit, but alloy did. The caliper got in the way!

dan16v
11-09-03, 10:58 PM
taa yup im on 4ot dynalites cp what are they like any gud? wheres best place for pads and disks rallydesign?

Paul
11-09-03, 11:18 PM
Dont forget to uprate brake servo or woteva it is off donor car. Or you won't see any gain in braking performance, told that by a mechanic the other day.

Chip_RB
12-09-03, 12:22 AM
That mechanic obviously didnt know what he was on about, it IS a good idea to use a bigger servo, but to claim you will get "no" gains without it is a nonsense.

Mechanics dont generally understand much about cars, they just unbolt things and bolt a new one, think of them as like a nurse rather than a doctor, ie they can fix things up but dont really understand exactly how they work.
Most modern mechanics are really what i would call a "fitter" obviously there are exceptions of course.

Chip

Jules
12-09-03, 08:29 AM
Would I be right in saying that the biggest you can fit under 16" rims (Irmscher Softstars) are 300mm discs? I've got Calibra V6/Turbo calipers and 284mm discs at the mo but when replacement time comes if the price isn't too different I'd like to go to 300mm.
Would they fit?
Who makes them as one piece units (Not rotors and bells)?
How much approx?

Cheers for the hijacking of this post!!
:wink:

Aragorn
12-09-03, 10:05 AM
if im not mistaken some of the newer vaux's have 300ish mm disks (like the coupe turbo, zafira gsi etc etc)

all u would need to do is get a set of calipers off one and get someone to redrill the disks and machine the proper spigot rings for the centerbore :)

i would expect however you are reaching the point where your standard master cyl is getting a bit streched - your prolly already getting loads of pedal travel due to the cylinder being too small and fitting even bigger piston'd calipers wont help

however im not sure if the pistons are any bigger or if they're the same size as the v6 cept have different carrier brackets so the sit further away from the hub

Jules
12-09-03, 05:15 PM
I have almost zero pedal travel atm (I've got a GSi btw) as you can adjust the point at which the pedal 'works'. I've adjusted mine accordingly and it works a treat at the moment but I just wanna fill the alloys a bit more!!

Chip_RB
12-09-03, 05:17 PM
he means travel from the "point at which it works" to the point at which you are full on the brakes, not the initial pedal travel which should always be minimal if your brakes are bled properly.

Chip

BigRuss
13-09-03, 08:09 AM
I'm running 305mm Discs and AP CP5200 four pots under 15" Raceline RL7's. The entire kit was designed by Ian Godney (Godspeed Brakes).

Admittedly they are motorsport rims so perhaps they give the equivalant to a road 16" alloy. A lot of people said they wouldn't clear but they do.

I would not hesitate to recommend Ian to anybody.

He can be contacted via E-mail at Ian@Godspeedbrakes.co.uk or by phone on 01656 660899. Tell him Russell Davies recomended him and He might even sort You out a bit of discount!!

His website is www.Godspeedbrakes.co.uk

Jules
13-09-03, 10:16 AM
he means travel from the "point at which it works" to the point at which you are full on the brakes, not the initial pedal travel which should always be minimal if your brakes are bled properly.

Chip

My brakes were bled properly when the V6 discs / calipers were fitted and the pedal would travel all the way to the floor, I know I'm not the only one who had this problem when fitting V6 brakes, but a quick adjustment of the connecting rod and everything was / is rosy.

corsa gt
14-09-03, 11:05 PM
How about 298x28mm 4x100? No drilling... Make sure to get the correct caliper though!
http://www.eds-motorsport.de/gb/produkte/bremsen_startseite.htm

Jules
15-09-03, 10:32 AM
Would be fine if they didn't require Senator 3.0L 24v calipers!!!
:o