PDA

View Full Version : What car is this engine from ?

tay
11-09-03, 07:56 PM
Anyone know what car a C16SV engine is from ? I thought I had a GTE engine until someone posted a little while ago what the engine codes stood for and it said that a GTE one was a C16SE ! Is my engine actually any difference in power output between the 2 ?

Cheers

Tay

Aragorn
11-09-03, 10:53 PM
c16sv was a carbed astra/cav engine

high compression block - ie the same as the GTE, but it has a lame head with 1.4sr style ports

if your goin down the 40's route with this and planning any major work i'd SERIOUSLY recommend using a GTE head since the valves are much bigger and ports bigger too - overall a much better flowing head

power differnece was about 20bhp down on the GTE engine mainly due to the head

tay
12-09-03, 06:34 PM
I've already had work done on the head though e.g ports enlargened ported and polished head etc. I have a feeling it may be an astra/cav bottom end with a GTE head on it. It has 1.6 injection on the rocker cover and there was an EGR valve on there - did the astra/cav 1.6 have these as well ?

Are there any other tell tale marks that would prove whether or not it is a GTE or an astra/cavvy head ?

cheers

Aragorn
12-09-03, 06:46 PM
EGR valve mustve been injection

round inlet ports or square?

round is GTE square is carb

tay
12-09-03, 06:51 PM
inlet ports r round....

does this mixture of bottom end / head work properly together ?

Aragorn
12-09-03, 06:59 PM
as i said the SV block is identical to the SE block so its fine

i just fitted the gte head to a 1.4 SPi block and its fine too

the engines are pretty modular when it comes down to it anyway

benji
12-09-03, 07:00 PM
who ever you had the enging from must of had their bottom end go and replaced it with the astra/cav one.

the bottom end's are the same

tay
12-09-03, 07:23 PM
well thats a relief !